Foot operated brake - who's done it.

GoldenMotor.com

oldguy387

Jul 5, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa.
I am going to build a replica of an old motor cycle that I love. The Norton Atlas Scrambler. They are very rare. Has any one built a foot operated rear brake similar to what was on motorcycles? And if you have pics please. Thanks

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
There is a post I found I believe on the Ratrod site, that shows how to convert a coaster brake to be hand actuated, I believe it would be very easy modify it for a foot brake.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The type of brakes you plan to use will dictate the linkage required to do what you're asking. Drum? Coaster? Disc? Designing and fabricating a workable linkage can be easy or difficult. I good working knowledge of the mechanics of leverage and linkage would help a lot.
Can you post a photo of what you're trying to duplicate? That would help us make suggestions.
Tom

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
i would love a foot brake on my build but california requires me to have workin pedals to keep this thing legal. for now i have 2 drums running a problem solvers cable doubler. a foot brake would be nice because that cable doubler take alot of grip strength to pull those 2 drums

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my first motorcycle had a gear shift that you lifted with the toe of your shoe. Why not set your pedal on one side to tighten a brake when you lift up on it instead of pushing down. Just a thought. I have no idea how to make it work but a coaster brake works that way. by the way I use coaster brakes whenever I can