How to adjust disk brakes

GoldenMotor.com

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Okay I'm having a problem with my Mountian bikes front brakes. I have read and asked via pm already and have took the info and used it. Despite all this my disk brakes have no stopping power. Some visual pics of my situation.

What I've been doing is this.
Screwing the lever adjuster screw in all the way

Then loosen the capiler cable arm making the pads closer to the disk

After tightening brake cable I let off on te lever adjuster screw, now the pads contact disk but I can grab a handful of brake lever and still move the wheel with my arm. I've tried finding the sweet spot, I adjusted it 5 times a little while ago. I'm stumped.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
If it's for sure biting on the disc rotor, you can clean the rotor with something that won't leave a film behind - that might do it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The caliper arm is hitting the cable screw adjuster on the caliper!
Screw the cable adjuster all the way out (so the arm won't touch it) & then re-adjust the tension on the arm. ;)

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Okay I think I got this issue worked out. It was that capiler screw adjuster, now it has somewhat stopping power instead of flintstone foot pad power.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well after a couple of days with minimal front stopping power I guess it could be the pads are just worn down to much. I will buy some soon. Even with everything adjusted right seems like weak performance.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I finally figured the problem out!! I noticed that one pads movement was very minimal, so there turn out to be a Allen head that when you tighten it it makes one pad closer to the disk. After finding this out it stops again!!