nate-m

May 24, 2011
Georgia
What I got for my mountain bike...

First I got:
Grubee Starfire Gt4

Then I got:
FDR-493 Honda GXH50 Four Cycle 2.50 HP Max Rear mount kit: Staton Inc

The GT4 is a fine kit. It's quick, it's fun, it's cheap and it looks good.

The Staton friction drive was hands down better. It has nicer top speed, more efficient, quieter, easier to install, and cheaper in the long run.

If your building something just to zoom around the neighborhood and are going to be rough with it and such... and reliability is not that important then I'd go with the GT4. It has more potential for speed, parts are cheap, and it's rewarding to hotrod the motors. It's better off-road also.

For you I suppose this would be good. Seems like a good compromise between price and quality:
Thats Dax

He has a friction kit or a chain kit that is pretty cheap. That 2-stroke motor is a monster and will probably blow away that one on Ebay.

The Ebay friction drive looks a bit ham-fisted to me. The look of the bearings and fit is not very good and they need to be good because they are under a lot of pressure. If not correct they will wear out quick and cause problems.

A 4-stroke friction drive will be quiet, more reliable, and require less work on your part. But the trade off is higher price and greater weight.

That's my advice.

Keep in mind that I have not been doing this much longer then you. I know it's more expensive then what you want, but you spend a bit more now to save a lot more later.

nirakli

May 29, 2011
Georgia
Thanks for your advice nate-m

But unfortunately ebay is the only solution, cause I live in Georgia (not the state Georgia) and most engine stores can't ship in my country.

So i have to choose from ebay :(

nirakli

May 29, 2011
Georgia
If your building something just to zoom around the neighborhood and are going to be rough with it and such... and reliability is not that important then I'd go with the GT4. It has more potential for speed, parts are cheap, and it's rewarding to hotrod the motors. It's better off-road also.
Btw Can the standard motorized bike used as transport in the city.

To go from one district to another?

nate-m

May 24, 2011
Georgia
Hrm. That makes it complicated so my advice is quite a bit less relevant.

If you need to go long distances then the I'd probably still go for the friction drive. Simply because there is less to go wrong.

It depends on part availability. I am using my bike for commuting. About 20 miles one way.

One of the big advantages of the friction drive for me is that my kit uses the standard 78mm centrifugal clutch drum. That way if my motor fails then I wouldn't be stuck without transportation. I can run down to a Harbor Freight or small engine repair place and simply buy a entire new motor fairly quickly and just hook it up. Getting parts and service for a Honda or other popular motor is not going to be a issue either... even though it will be expensive in a lot of ways.

I don't know that much about small engines, but the standard sizes seem to be either 54mm or 78mm drum. 54 for 'weed whacker' motors up to around 32cc and then 78 for larger ones.

It shouldn't be that much effort for me to get replacement clutch bits or hook up a entire new motor of a different configuration if the need came up. Lots of different small industrial devices should have motors that will work.

But in the country of Georgia I have no idea what the situation is like. How expensive are motors? How popular are small motors, is it difficult to find a place that will service, sell parts, or sell entire new motors?

The "China Girl" 2-stroke with the chain are certainly going to be cheaper in a lot of ways. It is going to require more maintenance to keep them running. Is replacement parts going to be a issue?

Like if the CDI goes out... how long will it take to get a new one shipped? Is it going to be a big deal for you to wait for the parts to ship if your bike is not working? It could be that it may be better for you just to get the cheaper 2-stroke setup because it would be easier to afford to stock up on a few parts.