Bike lane 101

GoldenMotor.com

ShawnfromTucson

May 15, 2011
Tucson
The law for Mb riders is 19-20 mph but what is the legal speed limit for a non motorized bike in the bike lane? Is there one? When must a bicycle enter into the traffic lane and use hand signals and abide by regular traffic laws? such as touring rider doing 25+ mph(flat riding or coasting downhill)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The speed limit for conventional bicycles is the posted speed limit for motorized vehicles. I have had spandex guys pass me in the bike lanes when I lived in the Phoenix area. They get more latitude than we do.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Good questions. What I want to know is if it is legal for a handicapped scooter to ride against traffic in the bike lane.
My guess would be no. It would depend on your state laws. The reason we are supposed to ride with the traffic flow is because a car coming from a side street or driveway will not expect to see someone coming from the right. They would then pull out in front of you causing an accident that you would be liable for. It is for the bike riders safety.

Here is a really good site to read up on bike safety: http://bicyclesafe.com/

Terry

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Why do people insist on riding against traffic?
Incredibly dangerous..

Look at it this way too…
What if I’m riding my bike southbound, while you’re riding north on the southbound side….
How do we pass each other? Especially if there is no bike lane.
Think about how dangerous that is..
FYI… This happens to me CONSTANTLY.
It’s so incredibly dangerous. I can not tell you enough..
Especially since I’m constantly going 20mph..
If I’m coming over a bridge and your also coming over on the same side of the road, it’s going to create disasterous results.
Please, please, please, everyone ride on the correct side of the road.