Mountain bike Gearing Question

GoldenMotor.com
Ok, this is going to sound like a very stupid question to ask, but I want an answer first before I say why I want to do it.

On your average, Walmart priced/brand mountain bike, can you change the gears to be located on the left hand side of the bike? I'm talking both front and back gears, the whole assembly. And can you flip the freewheel so it would still operate as normal?

My understanding is if you flipped it as is with no mods, the freewheels would be facing the wrong way and the pedals would always be turning while the bike is in motion, but you would have to pedal backwards as well.

If it matters I want to do this to a Roadmaster 26 in 18 speed

It's going to take me awhile to read through all that and understand it. the idea I have however seems to be a lot simpler than what they are trying to accomplish on that thread. They are trying to put a multi gear assembly on the rear wheel and drive from the motor directly to that.

I just want to know if it is possible to mount the gears on the left hand side of the bike, or if the freewheels will make that impossible.

Now back to reading that thread.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah but every concept of the subject was covered pretty well here. No your free wheels will only free wheel on the left side and if they were not free wheeling they would simply unthread themselves from the hub as the thread direction does not work on the left side! You can purchase a single speed flip flop hub.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You should just buy a rack drive, its simpler. You can't make a left side drive bike, unless you want a very expensive single speed. There are some left-side drive BMX hubs, but you'd have to buy a matching lefty freewheel, and rebuild your wheel, then reverse your crankset. And for all that effort, your pedals might unthread while you're moving.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Use the forums custom google search bar at the top. Simply type your subject and go!

Last edited by a moderator:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You can think of it as a design flaw if you want, but the china kits/happytimes run left side drive. You can make or buy a jackshaft, but for the trouble its best just to overgear a little (36 or 32 tooth single left side wheel cog) and keep your pedal gears for assisting the motor at takeoff and up hills.

If you really have a lot to spend for a motor bicycle, you can get a 4 stroke Puch or Honda moped engine and transmission that includes the pedals and pedalling system, neatly housed, and graft it onto a heavy duty bicycle.

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
I understand what ur saying lol. i also have a trek road bike set up with the left side cog/sprock, as you can see in my profile picture. i still ride it from time to time, but i love riding the mtn bike, because of the gears. Not to mention! its a lot faster. And the engine don't work that hard when you work thru the gears. the engine is horned out , and balanced for higher revs, and quicker throttle response. And i have a boost bottle, exspantion chamber exaust, and E3 spark plug with hyperformance plug wire. I also have the NOS system for it, but have yet to put it on. (The idea scares me) But the bike does over 50+mph on flat ground the way it is. And thats why i said to get a shift kit. Once you do the up grades on performance, it will out run scooters. (I've done it) But its your choice. I'm just glad to see theres more ppl out there like me, who thinks out side of the box. This weekend, i plan on installing a rechargable battery, that is charged with a small stepper motor as i ride. But anyway, injoy your build, and be safe on all your rides \\m//(~_~)

Actually after further research, I found out a shift kit is illegal here in Idaho. The statute regarding motorized bicycles falls under mopeds and I quote "the moped shall have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged"