shift kit install uh-oh...

GoldenMotor.com

rednek_express

Dec 24, 2009
Wisconsin
Tried to start installing the Sbp shift kit on my Motobecane mtb. Crank removal tool wouldn't work with the goofy threads on the crank arms, so I hacked them off with an angle grinder. Got the old crank out, and now I've found that the threads on the new spindle do not match the threads on the bike! The threads on the bike are finer than on the spindle. Guessing I need to scrap this French bike and pick up the Chicago-made Schwinn I found on craigslist. Has anybody else ran into this?

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Tried to start installing the Sbp shift kit on my Motobecane mtb. Crank removal tool wouldn't work with the goofy threads on the crank arms, so I hacked them off with an angle grinder. Got the old crank out, and now I've found that the threads on the new spindle do not match the threads on the bike! The threads on the bike are finer than on the spindle. Guessing I need to scrap this French bike and pick up the Chicago-made Schwinn I found on craigslist. Has anybody else ran into this?
did you try the other side.... the threads are not the same on both sides so there is a good chance you are just trying to put it on the wrong side.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Yup, that was it! Thanks a lot. I feel a little foolish, but atleast I can move forward.
no problem... Always nice when it's an easy fix.

the shift kit can be a little tricky to install the first time.... just ask if you have any other problems. chances are that somebody else has already had, and found a solution.