12 gauge spokes

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
12g spokes are really hard to find in stainless. the only thing i could think of is try older bike shops, they might have some lying around. i dunno anyone who makes them anymore except the chinese, and they're UCP (universal chrome plated.)

i bought some Husky 11g's, and the chrome on them is pretty lousy. the wheels are on the next bike i'm gonna motor up as soon as summer's over, and i've been riding the bike to the beach all summer. the spokes already show signs of corrosion. nothing major, but still...

granted, it's damp, salty air, but my motorbike with chrome worksman spokes gets more use in this weather, and those spokes are still shiny.

those cheap chinese wheels with the 12g spokes? i put some on my buddy's beach cruiser in march. hang on, lemme go take a picture of them...

this bike sits outside at his work in Newport Beach most of the day, but still. i've had beach bikes in the good old days of american chrome that took 5 years to get this bad...

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks. I found the spokes under "sports" not "bicycles".

But alas, I need 12GA 268-269mm in Stainless.
Hey Pablo, I've gotten 12GA stainless 270mm from Spooky....see where he's gettin' from (Roland). A buck a piece they cost me from him w/nipples. Stainless is the ONLY way to go....not cheap though.

Cheers,
scotto-

haltered

Oct 14, 2010
US
I was searching for "12ga stainless spokes" on google and this thread popped up first. Looks like Spooky can get them in standard MTB lengths? What about Holmes Bikes, anybody tried them? Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Bike / MoPed :: Sapim Stainless Custom Spokes Looks like they can do any length.

I need to put some heavier gauge spokes on my fuji with a DAX engine on it. I keep breaking the drive side spokes. Maybe even 13ga would work so I wouldn't have to drill out the rims?

haltered

Oct 14, 2010
US
I know I posted, but it didn't seem to show up.

I searched google for "12ga stainless spokes" and this thread came up first. It looks like spooky tooth is a good option for spokes? My drive side spokes keep breaking. I am also considering 13ga spokes as well because I wouldn't have to drill the rim. Has anybody tried Holmes Bikes? They came up on the first page too and it looks like they can make any length in 15 through 12ga stainless. Maybe I will shoot them an email and see if they are legit.

haltered

Oct 14, 2010
US
Yeah, thats the one. Anybody tried Holmes? I used Sapim spokes back in my bmx days and they are good.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago

Attachments

haltered

Oct 14, 2010
US
Got spokes from Holmes Bikes, took him about two days to make and ship them. Just what I ordered, what more could you ask for? I ended up going with 13ga since they fit my rim without drilling the eyelets. No breaking so far. He mentioned that he is getting some 12/13 butted spokes made. Maybe that would be good to make a stiff drive side for the sprocket adapter, without drilling out the rim and having to use so much tension to keep the wheel in shape.