Murray Jet Fire?

GoldenMotor.com

scarytrout

Sep 14, 2010
Southern Michigan
My dad got an old Murray Jet-Fire bike otherwise headed for the trash. The Bike is all there, but needs some work before it is roadworthy. I think that it would be a nice candidate for my first motorized bicycle build.

There are some other old Murray bikes on here that appear to be similar, but I didn't see any Jet-Fire bikes in my search.

I think that a motor kit will fit in the frame alright, that is not what I am concerned about. If it doesn't there are always other bikes around that I can use.

What I would like to know is if those springer forks on Ebay would fit this Old Murray. Does anyone know if Murray used a certain size stem?

The wheels could stand to be replaced. Should any old wheels be ok? Are steel rims more durable than the aluminum ones?

Maybe someone could admonish me on some mistakes to be sure not to make.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Welcome,as for the fork it should be a 1" threaded tube.As long as the head tube on the new fork is long enough it should work.Posting a photo would help alot.As for the rims do some searching cuz there are mainy options and opinions.

MotoMagz

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the head tube on a murray is the same standard size everyone used up until the new threadless forks came out. not sure which forks you're talking about, but if they're standard size, they should fit.

i like steel wheels, just because they fit the style of older bikes, but all i use is Worksman wheels, and they make a pretty stout aluminum rim, too. a cheap wheel is a cheap wheel, no matter what it's made out of.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Hi scarytrout, some of the Springer forks are junk. On Ebay, ebay store 'theschwinnstore' has a fairly decent one. AVOID the 29.95 one, it's probably not even safe. The best I've used for the money is the 'Sunlite' brand from my local bike shop. Around 60 bucks.If you want to go all out, Venice bikeworks has a reproduction Monarch suspension fork. You can find MTB suspension forks w/ 1" steerers, but they're rare. Good Luck! ps- install a front brake! v-brakes on the MTB fork or drum or disc w/ the Springer. We want you to be safe!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My 1976 Western Flyer was made by Murray. Springer fork with 1 inch threaded steer tube fits fine. China girl 2 stroke motor fits my frame easily.

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
The "Sunlite" brand of springer fork is what I have on one of my bikes, and I got mine through BikeWorldUSA.com. It's holding up quite well. BikeWorldUSA also sells a nice set of heavy duty rims with 12ga spokes that has the Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake. I think the set is around $57. They do sell the front and rear individually as well.

scarytrout

Sep 14, 2010
Southern Michigan
Wow, thanks everyone, valuable tips. I did some googling last night. I am going to have to stop into a bike shop or something. It looks like using a craigslist bike as a donor might be good for some parts.

I am trying to figure all of this out. Am I going to need to buy any bearings or anything when I replace the fork?