Lawn mower battery

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
This is 24 volts for rechargable lawn mower looks like in a nice case anyone ever try this? If so what kinda range did you get it doesn't show ah rating.
Homelite 24 Volt Battery - BS90021HL at The Home Depot

This one is a pair of 12 volt might be easier to side mount on rear rack says it charges in 45 minutes same price $99 shipped
Solaris 2 Pk. Powerpack Batteries for Solaris Mower - TPB09 at The Home Depot

Here's a much cheaper battery at the local auto parts house smaller footprint too:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OSSI/U1L.oap?keyword=lawn+mower+battery

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Yeah, no ah ratings so hard to tell. Wonder why they can't ship these batteries to HI?....not that we don't have Home Depot here. I always thought the could since they contain a gel and are sealed. :confused: Maybe I better start scarfing up any cheap electric scooters that come up for sale on our local Craigs and cannibilize them for the batteries.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The best price is probably a 12ah 12v battery off ebay. At least when I was looking for them it was the best price around. I think a pair is like fifty bucks. usually the batteries are the first things to go in those scooters. Neighbor has a toy car the kids ride. Battery is 12v 9,5ah and they want 40bucks for it. So he just tossed the car. Another neighbor picked it up. Since my grandson rode it, I am going to donate my 12ah batteries when I get the nimh up and going if I do.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well they had lawn tractor batteries on sale $19.99 at Oreiley's plus $12 core each they are a little bulky but think they'll do fine if I can mount them in frame and put 250 watt brush motor on back...I had already ordered the motor before finding the deal on the 800 watt hub motor kit but it's a good idea to have a backup in case of flats or lack of time to charge,

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
The prices on batteries you link to seem real high.
I have been experimenting with batteries on my home made e-bike and the lawn tractor battery I used bent the little frame I made to mount it off the side of the bike. I guess if it was inside the frame, it would be OK. Amazing how a 15 pound battery can bounce around.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Dont know how they would pull a bike ,BUT,I bought a brig and straton electric an it uas used then (thrift store)and I could cut a lot ao grass ,even tall grass and it did me good for 3 years,a little weak last year ,it sits in a freezing garage all winter.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I wonder if the motor could be put on a bike ,one speed but the wireing is already set up,It had a lot of long running and power the first 2 yrs,3rd year I could only get the front yard

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I wonder if the motor could be put on a bike ,one speed but the wireing is already set up,It had a lot of long running and power the first 2 yrs,3rd year I could only get the front yard
Man that's a good idea make a belt drive I bet that'd work! If it all fit into the frame with only 1 drawback if it's too powerfull you'd be illegal.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
These mowers all use sla batteries like we're using, for the most part. Getting into the 3rd year is about right. Time for a new set.

You can run the motor through a controller and use a throttle to control your speed. TNC has controllers from mild to wild and most have a wiring diagram in their online catalog. All you'd need is a throttle of your choice and the simplest controller for the voltage you want to use. You're on your own for mounting the motor and battery pack. :D

Of course, some have gone the simplest and used a simple on/off switch between the battery and motor and had the switch mounted within easy reach on the handlebars. Make sure the switch can handle up around 40 to 60 amps. zpt

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Had them lil muthas weld themselves ON... Wild ride while I found a wire to pull. Best one I have had and never burned up was a twenty amp household wall switch. Do Not get the 15 amp it will be melted metal one of those times when the bike hits a really steep or long hill. Then hope there is a lot of distance between you and the next busy intersection.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
They are all sealed led acid. You actually but them by the volts and ah. Most hover rounds are 17 or 35 ah thats the only difference. Go up on ebay and take a look, Enter 12v the amp hours you want and sla after it.l ie 12v 20ah sla battery. and they will pop up. There is usually a pretty good selection.

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Hmm, while looking at the hub motor kits on ebay they have been priced reasonably but don't leave much space for battery purchasing. $60 for two lawnmower batteries on a 250W could work thought. How would they be charged? How long would they hold up and what about range?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
what is the ah on your lawn mower batteries. That's what counts without that you are comparing apples with oranges.