Target Cruiser Bike

GoldenMotor.com

piston powered

Dec 3, 2009
tampa fl
Just got back from Target and saw a few Rip Curl bikes on display. One in particular caught my eye because someone assembled it incorrectly and put the forks on backwards! I'll bet that's a handful to ride at speed! Finding out that it was on sale recently for $79 bucks really gets me. Had i known that, there would be one waiting for an engine at my house! Wonder if it'll go on sale again any time soon? Any insights Target assembly guys? Hmmm?
Anything that is soon to be on ad is a mystery to us until a week before , and Sorry Wouldnt tell you anyway , Nothing personal I just wouldnt want to risk losing my job over a bike . With that said keep an eye out in our AD for the next 2 to 3 weeks, might find it on ad again

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Sure, no offense at all. Makes perfect sense and I'll do as you suggest. Thanks! For some reason, besides being a cool looking bike, one of the things I noticed about the Rip Curl was the tires. I've not seen anything like them before. They look really COOL! Thanks again!

ddolyp

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Wow, 'pistonpowered'...make that 3...THREE Target assemblers here..Im at a Target Detroit area store in Michigan.

As far as the 'Jaguar' opinion offered by 'rat..' I have not been a fan of the Jaguar overall ...NOT because an individule sample cannot be durable, or work well, etc....but when you put together literally hundreds of the same model every year you see 'tendencies' compared to other models that you build, that's all. The 'Jaguars' Ive built can(but not always) have less than precise front derailleurs and sometimes the brakes....nothing major at all. No general probs with the frames or wheels so far. And a deep tuneup can eliminate most of the issues most of the time.

I also like the 'Trailway's for consistency, though they are a bit more expensive...also the 'Gridlocks are GREAT great cruiser/commuters when assembled well. My personal recommendation for general consistency and 'value per dollar' with our mountain bikes would be without question or apology the Schwinn Rangers. I have had very little problems with these compared to ANY other bike we carry. They go on sale about two or three times a year....from $179 regular cut to $139. Get one and tune it up yourself...the frames are great and the components are VERY consistent from my experience.

On the other hand, with the 'Magna' bikes that Ive built Ive found that I can bend by hand../brake assemblies, front and rear derailleurs, brake levers and so on. Not for heavy or long term use, though Im sure exceptions exist.

I also agree with 'pistonpowered' that a LOT can happen to an individule bike(REGARDLESS of brand or model) at any point from the manufacturer to the backroom at Target. Bikes can be dropped, 'CROWNED' (forklift damage) etc... I am forty two years old and LOVE assembling bikes in a quality way...Ive ridden across the United States several times (mostly on Schwinns) and can relate to the problems caused with poor assembly.

In any event, just a little TLC with whatever you have can usually take you far. Looking forward to powering up.

And maybe just one last hint....if you can...buy a USED bike off of craigslist or what-have-you in your local area and you can easily move up a level or two in quality for LESS if you just bother to take the time. YES, you have to look out for the garbage out there...but that holds true at the retailer level as well. I bought a GREAT mountain bike from a local seller for $50...just took two days looking.

Happy trails...

Last edited:

ddolyp

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Jags dont have a front derailer
You are correct...my apologies, I was thinking of the Cimmaron. No excuses...no problem.

Bike on.

BTW,the blue fuel tank on your example compliments well with the frames original color scheme.

Also, as to the Jaguar being discontinued I can say that since I have been getting this seasons bikes in for the past few weeks I have not gotten ANY Jaguars...though I might have one or two still hanging on my backstock wall. Other Targets CAN request a product 'sweep' from a given store where we send them stock that we're willing to part with. If anyone is interested just ask me to check and then have your local Target request a 'sweep' from our store. I'll give the info on request.

Attachments

Last edited:

piston powered

Dec 3, 2009
tampa fl
I gotta say I'm quickly getting pi$$ed off about the magna products , 1st off every bike that comes in off the truck has some sort of wheel damage ranging from just a slight wobble to an out right potato chip , or in one case they machined the rear hub wrong and i got to be part of the " Over the bars club" when the free wheel stripped out . ( I test ride every bike we assemble ) Just my 2 cents and I know that not every body has had issues with the product line .