Don's OCC Stingray Build

GoldenMotor.com

MyPC8MyBrain

Aug 1, 2008
Almost done with my frist OCC Stingray build. It seemed to take a lot longer than other builds. I think that was due to the donor bike being used and needing a "down to the frame" overhaul and cleanup. See Pic OCC-1.

Some of the stickers were a bit funky so the dictated that they all come off. Pick and peel off what you can. Used a plastic scraper to get some of it. That leaves you with a nice adhesive stuck to the frame you have to deal with. BrakeClean seemed to work the best to soften up the glue. Spay on oil after seemed to help get it up off the frame. I swear this process took as long as the rest of the build.

Rear sprocket was installed using a Livefast OCC sprocket adapter. You set the adapter on the hub and drill holes to mount it directly onto the hub. Was missing a couple of nuts so a trip to the hardware store was required [sigh] . Since I was there, I just went ahead and bought nylon locking nuts to secure the sprocket. Also used their 40t sprocket due to the small size of the rear tire. $65 for the sprocket adapter seems high, but I guess they are small custom machining runs and that's what the market will bear.

Motor mount was the "Barry from Ebay" mount and went on fairly smoothly. 2 large holes are drilled through the bottom tube to secure the mount. Slightly spooky in that you need to get them located right and drilled straight. Hard to do within the confines of the frame, but got 'er dun.

Motor kit was the standard level BlueCollarBikes kit. The kit seemed complete and had some nice touches. Like throttle cable pre assembled on the carb needle and carb. Fuel line seemed better quality. When I opened the sprocket cover the pin was already greased, etc etc. and the motor has a nice silver finish applied to it. My favorite part of the kit....A nice heavy metal covered exhaust gasket. Awesome!

Couple of minor nags from the kit... bushing style tensioner, plug was pre installed in the head causing a bent terminal from shipping, and the motor used slotted screws for the covers instead of phillips heads. Busted 2 screwdrivers trying to remove the long screw from the drive sprocket cover :rolleyes:. Maybe the chainguard nut was installed on it and I didn't notice, but I didn't find a nut laying around after. On a positive note, the motor fired 2 seconds after I popped the clutch for the first time!

Gas tank mounted by drilling the top of the frame and installing (2) 1/4 20 nutserts. Gas tank brackets were flipped and installed onto the top of the frame with allen screws, then the tank set on top and nuts run up the tank studs. Need to trim those studs off still.

To finish off this build I have to install the chain guards, rear fender, clean more, and ponder if the tensioner position could be better. Also need to do something with the exhaust. I really hate the thought of paying more mega dollars for a mufler and longer pipe. I may just buy a wirefeed welder and conduit bender instead and just make my own. Maybe could adapt an pocket bike expansion chamber for it.

Overall, I like it. The bike is fairly cramped to ride, but that's the price you pay for cool I guess. Looks good.. should sell nicely.

That BlueCollarBikes motor seems fast.. faster than the BGF's I've installed and it's only been run in for 20 minutes so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Pretty cool. I've really been wanting to do a chopper build lately.

Which size is the bike? I know there are a few sizes, and a couple won't fit....

mobilgal

Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Good Job! Working on an OCC Stingray right now. My first build and Motoschwinn's 3rd or so. He had a rough time with the motor mount, but eventually got it done. I notice you turned your chain tensioner upside down and cleared the rear brake pads that way. Good idea. I might go the same route to avoid having to take 1/4 in off my brakes. I spoke to Barry the motor mount guy via phone and he was full of all kinds of info. He was very open to giving advice as needed. He's done several stingrays.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Mobilgal, what size Stingray are you using? Do you have a link to a build?

I'd like to get one eventually, I just don't know which size I'll need.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Mobilgal, what size Stingray are you using? Do you have a link to a build?

I'd like to get one eventually, I just don't know which size I'll need.
The standard OCC chopper came with a 16 18 20 and 24 inch front wheel your probably going to want one with a 24 inch front wheel. They have the OCC Xl and I don't know what size the wheel on that is. The front wheel size tells you the size of the frame/bike.

I'm 5'2" and The bike is just about right for me with the seat all the way down. Any taller and I'd need to lift the seat. I love these bikes- I've got 2 awaiting their transformation.

Trey Knight

Jan 27, 2009
lebanon Missouri
I got me an occ stingray the other day and I have been all over Ebay and the internet looking for that engine adapter and the hub adapter ( not sure what I'm looking for when it comes to the hub adapter). Maybe someone could direct me in the right direction with some tips and ad:-||:-||:-||vice. Thanks, Trey Knight