Did you ever notice

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Did you ever notice that the rear wheel of a mountain bike has a really nice hub on the off side. It is possible to weld a #25sprocket to it. I have already done that. Yeah it does take making an adapter that will fit over the wheel hub and then weld to the 25 sprocket. I should be able to easily mount a scooter motorl to it. I did it on a front fork and it worked pretty well. It was impossible to get the motors I have to mount on the front fork though.

I think I can mount the motorized wheel on the rear end of the bike. I am using a mountain bike for my last Rhino drive bike. I'm going to mount up a chain drive to a spare mountain bike wheel and see if it will mount up. It it does I am going to try it instead of the rhino drive. Just to see which is best.

I'll let you know how it works. It should be like an I zip with a 750 watt motor when I am finished. That should be something to see. That trailer is pulling a 36v 17ah battery pack. I look forward to seeing what it will do. I don't think I will finish it today but I might. It depends on how long I can work in the unheated shop. So far it has been about twenty minutes at a time.

I had the wheel laying around from an old build, but I had robbed parts from it. I had to find parts and reassemble it. That is the only good thing about having stripped out so many bikes along the way. I have lots of wheels to rob for parts.

I think in my next twenty minute stint out there I will install the motor onto the axle. One step at a time it seems.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
did you ever notice how I can screw things up in the strangest ways lol.

I worked and worked to get the rear wheel with the extra emotor stocket set hooked up. It was a real pain to get it done. I must have set that wheel twenty times. Finally everything was on and straight even. I turn the bike over lift the wheel and open the throttle. the wheel spins, there is a pop, and the wheels stops spinning. the sprocket that I had welded onto the wheel broke loose. I gave up for the night. Tomorrow I am going to remove the wheel and weld it again. If I can't get it to work there is no big loss. The wheel had already been screwed since it is the only I could never get to work on the front fork.

More tomorrow.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yeah tomorrow im going to patch it together. Sometimes the patches are the ones that work.

If I can't get it to work, I'm going to put the old wheel back on nothing lost, but I have an idea to try that front fork again. Tomorrow if it doesn't work on the rear, I'm going to use a spare fork I have laying around. I will set the whole thing up as a front wheel drive. If i can get it all worked out on the work bench, I will just switch the whole fork set. Just do a quick mix and match kind of thing I expect.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Deacon, I used a rag joint to adapt the scooter motor via jackshaft to the rear end of my bike.
I did weld a sprocket on a bike hub. I use 1/16 rod from HF and use a buzz box at 60 amps (usually- depends on material size).

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got the sprocket rewelded and it ran it half a mile before it blew a fuse. I had a spare but I came on back home didn't want to push it till I had a chance to figure out how best to ride it.

One thing I know for sure it isn't any better than the friction drive Rhino drive I build. The speed isn't any better and the hill climbing isn't either. The Rhino slips when it is over burdened this one just slows down and I expect draws a lot of amps. I will have to give it a good testing.

One thing I think is that I'm going to build one as a front wheel drive and put on a larger sprocket. I think I have a 65tooth sprocket... I think it needs an eighty tooth one. Give it a little better hill climb torque. That is more important than speed to me.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I like to pass along my screw ups so other can avoid them. Today it is never drop the tongue of a just welded trailer on the battery charger of a scooter. I use them to charge my battery packs. they are made so cheaply that the hot tongue melted right through the wire and shorted the charger. Those of you who have any experience with these toy know what happened. Yep that distinctive popping sound that means the end of the charger.

I have a hundred times better charging system but it is more aggravation to hook up. I have three 12v battery tenders from Wallymart. The 36 volt is plug and go but it is a toy. The battery tenders are real tools but each one has to hooked up separately. Still it is the way to go.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
tomorrow I have to rewire a six battery 36v 19ah battery pack so that I can isolate the circuits for charging with the three battery tenders. Oh well keep me off the streets