Boardtrack track

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Came across this photo and thought I'd share it. It shows how they used to lay the "Boards" .....serious splinter action. After you click on the thumbnail...click on the photo.

Attachments

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
My grandpa told me there were a few of those tracks around Buffalo back in the teens and twenties. Bike racing was big on them. Sometimes they would race for 24 hrs!

Sep 7, 2009
BOARDTRACKVILLE
Are there any boardtracks still in existence?

Board track, or motordrome, racing was a type of motorsport, popular in the United States between the second and third decades of the 20th century, where competition was conducted on oval race courses with surfaces composed of wooden planks. Although the tracks most often used motorcycles, many different types of racing automobiles also competed, enough so as to see the majority of the 1920s American national championship races contested at such venues.

By the early 1930s, board track racing had fallen out of favor, and into eventual obsolescence, due to both its perceived dangers and the high cost of maintenance of the wooden racing surfaces. However, several of its most notable aspects have continued to influence American motorsports philosophy to the present day, including: A technical emphasis on raw speed produced by the steep inclinations; ample track width to allow steady overtaking between competitors; and the development of extensive grandstands surrounding many of the courses.

Wall of Death cyclinder still in existence.

The Wall of Death or motordrome is a carnival sideshow featuring a drum- or barrel-shaped wooden cylinder, ranging from 20 to 36-feet in diameter, in which stunt motorcyclists ride and carry out tricks. Derived directly from US motorcycle boardtrack (motordrome) racing in the early 1900s, the very first carnival motordrome appeared at Coney Island amusement park (New York) in 1911. The following year portable tracks began to appear on traveling carnivals and in 1915, the first "silodromes" with perpendicular walls were seen. These motordromes with perfectly straight walls were soon dubbed the "Wall of Death." This carnival attraction became a staple in the US outdoor entertainment industry with the phenomenon reaching its zenith in the 1930s with more than 100 motordromes on traveling shows and in amusement parks. In 2004, six or seven of these motorcycle shows were still touring the US. The first known Wall of Death in the UK appeared in 1929 at Southend.

The audience views from the top of the drum, looking down. The riders start at the bottom of the drum, in the center, and ascend an initial ramped section until they gain enough velocity to drive horizontally to the floor, usually in a counter-clockwise direction (the physical explanation behind this act is found at Banked turn and The turning car.) This act is famous in the United Kingdom, and often is seen at fairs. In the 2000s, there remain only a few tours of the wall of death; the most notable of which is "The Wall of Death World Tour", created and run by the Fox family. This touring group uses the original American Indian Motorcycles, which have been used since around the 1920s. For the most of the year, this group is based at Wilburton but ride every year in the Great Dorset Steam Fair. In India, cars are also used.[1]

A similar act called the "Globe of Death" has the riders looping inside a wire mesh sphere rather than a drum. This form of motorcycle entertainment had a separate and distinct evolution from carnival motordromes and derived from bicycle acts or "cycle whirls" in the early 1900s.

Attachments

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
I n 1980 at octoberfest in Munich W. Germany I saw the fox family perform and it was a site to behold the boards were splintered and the whole arena osolated from the bikes rolling on the wall at one point there were 5 riders inside ridding at once . I had heard of this and when I saw these Old Indian bikes on rollers doing tricks I knew I had to see it . I'm glade we saw them early because I can't remember anything after lunch(way too many fest beers)anyway I'm glade I got to see it Bob

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Are there any boardtracks still in existence?

Board track, or motordrome, racing was a type of motorsport, popular in the United States between the second and third decades of the 20th century, where competition was conducted on oval race courses with surfaces composed of wooden planks. Although the tracks most often used motorcycles, many different types of racing automobiles also competed, enough so as to see the majority of the 1920s American national championship races contested at such venues.

By the early 1930s, board track racing had fallen out of favor, and into eventual obsolescence, due to both its perceived dangers and the high cost of maintenance of the wooden racing surfaces. However, several of its most notable aspects have continued to influence American motorsports philosophy to the present day, including: A technical emphasis on raw speed produced by the steep inclinations; ample track width to allow steady overtaking between competitors; and the development of extensive grandstands surrounding many of the courses.

Wall of Death cyclinder still in existence.

The Wall of Death or motordrome is a carnival sideshow featuring a drum- or barrel-shaped wooden cylinder, ranging from 20 to 36-feet in diameter, in which stunt motorcyclists ride and carry out tricks. Derived directly from US motorcycle boardtrack (motordrome) racing in the early 1900s, the very first carnival motordrome appeared at Coney Island amusement park (New York) in 1911. The following year portable tracks began to appear on traveling carnivals and in 1915, the first "silodromes" with perpendicular walls were seen. These motordromes with perfectly straight walls were soon dubbed the "Wall of Death." This carnival attraction became a staple in the US outdoor entertainment industry with the phenomenon reaching its zenith in the 1930s with more than 100 motordromes on traveling shows and in amusement parks. In 2004, six or seven of these motorcycle shows were still touring the US. The first known Wall of Death in the UK appeared in 1929 at Southend.

The audience views from the top of the drum, looking down. The riders start at the bottom of the drum, in the center, and ascend an initial ramped section until they gain enough velocity to drive horizontally to the floor, usually in a counter-clockwise direction (the physical explanation behind this act is found at Banked turn and The turning car.) This act is famous in the United Kingdom, and often is seen at fairs. In the 2000s, there remain only a few tours of the wall of death; the most notable of which is "The Wall of Death World Tour", created and run by the Fox family. This touring group uses the original American Indian Motorcycles, which have been used since around the 1920s. For the most of the year, this group is based at Wilburton but ride every year in the Great Dorset Steam Fair. In India, cars are also used.[1]

A similar act called the "Globe of Death" has the riders looping inside a wire mesh sphere rather than a drum. This form of motorcycle entertainment had a separate and distinct evolution from carnival motordromes and derived from bicycle acts or "cycle whirls" in the early 1900s.
Great post... welcome to the forum! Let me guess, you kinda like the boardtrack racers, huh. You're not alone and have come to the right spot.
SB

Sep 7, 2009
BOARDTRACKVILLE
Name of the museum is Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, The museum is absolutely magnificent.

I don't know exactly how many motorcycles they have on display, but their Web Site states that at any given time there are at least 500 on display.

Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, AL. The museum is located on the property of Barber Motorsports Park and it is absolutely a magnificent place for anyone interested in motorcycles or racing!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Worksman, I had a book until I lost it in a fire, titled My Life as a Board Track Racer if I remember right.
One of the photos showed the author with his shirt off and it looked like he had lost way to many sword fights fights. He was scared every where.

Steve.