Post War frame + RAW kit

GoldenMotor.com

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
Hey here is a good basis for a build. a Huffy frame made sometime before the Korean War
therefore a 1940's-50's light weight but sturdy base for a pair of 26"X2.125 alloy rims, laced with stainless steel 12ga spoke's single speed coaster brake and fitted with white walled Balloon Tires, Full Fender's were an option in these Art Deco Examples of the Mid Centruy facination with Motor Bike's ...often a Mock Tank was affixed containing an electrical device to promote a Cool Fool's Fantasy
Huffy is the nick name for the "Dime Store" bike's that appeared after the second world war. During the war Huffman supplied our troops with great people powered transport, carrying the messages too private to transmit over open lines.. Schwinn's shared the Roads with Huffman's
I got me a nearly Extinct (Dial a Ride) HUFFMAN frame only, and it is quite clean. I shaved it with my pocket knife in about an hour. It had two coats of paint: cream for the base and red trim. .Purple over that, with some bullet hole decals randomly placed about the frame. it was"bare".Price $30.00
I sold my Murray cruiser last summer because I had no use for a one speed beach cruiser. I sold it for $30 as well
My present bike frames would loose value if I put RAW to them
NOISE and Black Smoke followed by flying gravel and Road Rashes are still some of the healthy Kicks we can freely do. I have some example photos of basic frame Huffman's alias Dayton, alias Firestone alias 10 or more versions thru the years. this style of frame had a Patent filed with the U.S )Pat. office Pre War
Perhaps I need to explore the serial number clearly readable ..it has an opposing number as well.
Huffman serial number only had two letters that could be traced "H" and "D" d for dayton , an early version of the huffman ,1938-1948 ,all other Huffman frames will display " H" so we know its a real live Huffman that all we know a number similar to this fram appears in a reaserh forum
Mines says 8HO12234 his 8H013431 = 1948 Huffman

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
This is the exact frame I came across strong history and valuable asset I will motoriz it in good faith
1948 Huffman, Dial-Your-Ride. too bad I scraped the paint off. it had this exact color on it with a lovely reflective tinge that wowed my girl friday. I tried to remove some bullet hole decals with a razor blade and noticed the paint shaved off.. because it was a Laqour job dried with 60 years of age.

This months Bicycle of the Month is a Dayton Dial-Your-Ride. This early version, first introduced in 1949 was designed by Knut Wennerstrom, a noted automovie and industrial designer at the time. This example is in very good condition for its age. The original paint is still showing strong. Notice the "dial" on top of the fork to tune in the front suspension. How cool is that? Also notice the decorative appliques on the tank, chain-guard, and carrier rack. It was a streamline design that stood out among all other bikes produced at the time. Any boy or girl would have been proud to ride.mbv.

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
Thanks to the help of "Venice Motor Bikes." Today was a snap.It was the day that the 1948 Huffman dial a ride got all new parts. I suppose it is a frame up because I initially bought a bare frame about two weeks ago. I then ordered every part I could locate that Is suggested to fit correctly. I read deeply into it and was off only one headset, I read Sheldons descripition of a Head Set there is a #4080 made by WALD it fits the pre 1980 US bikes really wel...l also when in a jam there are three nubs that can be ground down in a few minutes to adapt it the largest size head tube like the Huffman's. a full 1 1/4.. I did that as my only fabrication . With Venice Motorbikes having the Right sized Springer Forks New in a Package, I was confident enough to start the build after dinner sat. about 8;00 and finished and was polishing by 12:00 It was so simple once the objects arrived here in my room. I am calling this build my ArmChair Adventure and I now have the most Brilliant Bike sitting next to my chair. It came out to Weigh a featherlite 34 lbs with motor. I have had an 80 pound motorized Mountain trailz bike that was exausting when lifting it around in this cramped shop/bedroom this " Huffy Is a Jewel of high grade alloy materials. My alloy wheels and the Chrome-molly frame help to delete excess weight that would be apparant with a steel bike and steel wheels Mine appears to be the current Feather Lite type. weight equil's distance on motorized bikes. especially electric ones. I imagine this bike is good to go 40 since there is a decent amount of shock absobsion and A featherlight frome with the wide balloons there should be cops chasing me any day now.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Very nice man - I'm glad it worked out so well for ya (^)

Ya might wanna break out the scales tho, my Schwinn aluminum comp (w/aluminum rims) weighs in at 35lbs without an engine kit or any accessories, the motor kit adds about another 25lbs on top of that... I can't quite see yer bike weighing 9lbs or so w/o an engine...

Not that it's a big deal or anythin lol ;) and granted, these are shipping weights that tend to be rounded up a pound or two.

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
the weight seems to be towards the rear the front weighs about 10 lbs and the rear 36.bf.
I can imagine that a newer bike would contain safety features that add a bit of weight. I chose to eliminate anything that could add weight. my rack is constructed of two license plates circa 1962 and a top to a battery drawer the"APC hospital emergency backup battery system tied into the gtid. 120 volt" capable of deflecting a bomb blast . Drilling holes in the steel top created a problem it seems to be real ARMOUR that could possibly deflect arrow's or high speed projectile's such as a bullet i drilled four holes in the top and one in my thumb.
My Pipes I have used to act as chain guard on the motor chain side came from a Schwinn Electric Stingray bike I own and use as my "CAR" seven days a week. It seemed that the Stinger will not suffer the loss as no one has ever seen one any way.they were Scrapped due to a Chinese related miss wire job inside of the Motor HUB 2005 production.I have since converted that stinger to a front motor and hung the chrome details back on it.weight of pipes is 4 lbs

Last edited: