First time motor bicycle in need of help

GoldenMotor.com

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Hey,
I'm kinda new to this whole scene so I apologize if I dont know what I'm talking about =). I've decided that I want/need transportation that makes more sense than driving of cycling so I stumbled upon this forum. To start off, I have absolutely no mechanical experience or education and the only tools I have are various wrenches, a hammer, duct tape, and some WD-40. That said, I've pretty much decided that I want to install a 4-stroke motor on one of the various steel clunkers that I can get from my friends.
I'm not going to do much heavy riding, just day-to-day commuting in the city. I'm choosing 4-stroke because from what i've heard, its fairly low maintenance and more reliable. However, I have absolutely no idea how to install all the necessary contraptions to make my ride move. I'm willing to watch a few videos to get a general understanding about the general mechanics. Does anyone know where I can find a COMPREHENSIVE guide on how to make on of these? Also, can anyone recommend me a kit that is cheap yet reliable and fairly simple to install?
Your help is MUCH APPRECIATED!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rachtak,
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help. Here is a link to one of our sponsors who offers 4 cycle kits. bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor There are others so shop around, do your homework and keep in mind that after sale support can often be more important than so called quality. The link I gave you has a good reputation for great customer support. Hope this helps you get started.
Tom

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Cheap yet reliable don't really go together. If you want reliable you have to be willing to pay for it.

If you want reliable and easy to install, look at Staton. They aren't cheap but they are very reliable and installation is pretty straight forward and easy. If you get a chain drive you'd probably want to buy their wheel too.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Welcome to motorbiking Rachtak, If you lack fundamental mechanical knowledge this could get expensive. The typical guy will usually spend anywhere from $200 - $400 and this will be because he does his own work. Now if you half guess your way through the making of a gas bike, it could turn out to be real time consuming. Most of the kits are moderately difficult even for a mechanical guy. The easiest of all kits to use is the rack mounted engines with the belt drive. This can be done in as little as a half hour and not a lot of mechanical ability is needed. I would look at those kits first if I had your lack of mechanical experience. The only draw back those kits cost around 650 bucks.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I would also suggest that you look into purchasing a bike that already has most of the components mounted. As it has already been stated, it may cost a little more. However, you have the benefit of learning the mechanics as you ride and play rather than putting your safety into further jeopardy by installing everything yourself. Word of caution, this is a very addictive hobby!!! Whichever way you decide to go, you are going to enjoy this more than you can imagine. Good luck! There are many experienced people here that can help you through any problem you might have.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Many of the sites have how to install instructions with pics. Those can give you a good idea of the mechanics involved. You need to decide whether you want chain drive or friction. Then deciding on motor brand and size, for me the 30+cc motors just didnt have the punch I wanted so I went with a 50cc motor. A new honda 35cc motor costs more than the Titan 50cc motor so cost isnt the only factor to consider. Good luck itll be fun I can assure you.