urethane rag joint.

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i got tired of that piece of tire mounted to my tire.

so i hit up the urethane supply place for a chunk of 4" O.D. urethane, 80a durometer rod. price: free.

then i went to the metal supply guy and bought a 4" aluminum circle, already cut, for 50 cents.

then i bought a twelve pack and smokes. about 20 bucks.

holesawed, drilled, dremeled, and rebuilt my coaster brake while i was at it.

a few hours later, and the pictures say it all...

(it's too dark, and i've been drinking most of the day, so i haven't tested it yet. i'll let you all know tomorrow...)

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
gdang beer overhead can make these bikes soooo expensive :D

Nice job! Question tho - usually I see two bits of tire - one on the outside of the spokes and another inside (makin a spoke sammich), it looks as if you have nothin' between the sprocket and the spokes in this pic... is that an acceptable method?

I would think the angle of the spokes would cause problems w/warpage if they get forced to align flush with the sprocket, particularly as the urethane seems to be firmer than the ol' hunk o'tire bits.

but if it works - so be it ;)

If it's the same bike as in yer avatar - nice job matchin the colors lol

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, I'd put another between the spokes and the sprocket, or you'll be beer bonging away the afternoon doing repairs soon.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i got tired of that piece of tire mounted to my tire.

so i hit up the urethane supply place for a chunk of 4" O.D. urethane, 80a durometer rod. price: free.

then i went to the metal supply guy and bought a 4" aluminum circle, already cut, for 50 cents.

then i bought a twelve pack and smokes. about 20 bucks.

holesawed, drilled, dremeled, and rebuilt my coaster brake while i was at it.

a few hours later, and the pictures say it all...

(it's too dark, and i've been drinking most of the day, so i haven't tested it yet. i'll let you all know tomorrow...)
my question is WHY?...Dennis

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Question tho - usually I see two bits of tire - one on the outside of the spokes and another inside (makin a spoke sammich), it looks as if you have nothin' between the sprocket and the spokes in this pic... is that an acceptable method?

I would think the angle of the spokes would cause problems w/warpage if they get forced to align flush with the sprocket, particularly as the urethane seems to be firmer than the ol' hunk o'tire bits.

but if it works - so be it ;)

there's actually a really thin piece of soft ABS plastic on the sprocket side, between the spokes. i can't put another rag joint in because of chain alignment. there's no spoke wear or nothing.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
my question is WHY?...Dennis
because it's orange?

because the old one was ugly and didn't fit right and was made by 4 year olds in thailand?

because i can say, "look what i made with my own two hands?"

because it's my bike, and now, it's even more my bike?

why? for the same reason that first kid put a baseball card in his spokes 100 years ago...

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
because it's orange?

because the old one was ugly and didn't fit right and was made by 4 year olds in thailand?

because i can say, "look what i made with my own two hands?"

because it's my bike, and now, it's even more my bike?

why? for the same reason that first kid put a baseball card in his spokes 100 years ago...
GOOD ANSWER...Thank You...

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the rag joint is probably much stronger, there are fibers weaved into it to make it strong. the urethane doesn't have that, anything mounted in urethane normaly has a steel insert where the bolts go through it. looks good though, let us know how well it holds up.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
you're right, camlifter.

the urethane i got is 80a durometer. that's close to what the first urethane skateboard wheels were. it's pretty mushy.

if i had something in a 95a durometer, it'd probably better.

it works fine, but it squishes out to much, and it probably won't last.

but hey, it's orange...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
you're right, camlifter.

the urethane i got is 80a durometer. that's close to what the first urethane skateboard wheels were. it's pretty mushy.

if i had something in a 95a durometer, it'd probably better.

it works fine, but it squishes out to much, and it probably won't last.

but hey, it's orange...
Not to mention you get the "Real life empirical testing" award for trying it. +1