Am I thinking right or

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Before I buy a new sprocket for my ebike I just built I want to be sure I have the right thing in mind.

When i go uphill with the motor my bike will not respond to the throttle at all after a certain point. I am thinking about getting a bigger sprocket to get more torque. Motor and controller and throttle all work and are set up for maximum efficiency. I need to get the most out of my sprocket. I am running a 65 tooth sprocket now. I am considering going with an 80tooth.

So what do you think? Should I go eighty tooth or just live with the bike the way it is.

starrunner

May 12, 2008
vintageboatplans.com
Before I buy a new sprocket for my ebike I just built I want to be sure I have the right thing in mind.

When i go uphill with the motor my bike will not respond to the throttle at all after a certain point. I am thinking about getting a bigger sprocket to get more torque. Motor and controller and throttle all work and are set up for maximum efficiency. I need to get the most out of my sprocket. I am running a 65 tooth sprocket now. I am considering going with an 80tooth.

So what do you think? Should I go eighty tooth or just live with the bike the way it is.
A bigger sprocket of course will add more torque for hills, that is if this is the problem to start with. And if it is, a 15 tooth increase is a huge increase in a sprocket size. It should climb a wall if that's what the problem really is.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well there are only two ways to go... smaller sprocket more speed and bigger sprocket more torque. I switched over a 16" pusher wheels coaster brake assembly to a 20 inch coaster brake hub. It has a 44tooth wheel. That will give me a chance to check out the smaller faster wheel when and if the rain stops.

I have an eighty on order. If this still shuts down on hills, I will go with the eighty. Yesterday I taught myself how to take apart and put back together the guts of a coaster brake wheel so now I can do most anything I want with them.