Thread for alternative engines

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My annoyance with the CG engines is their scarcity in the UK and their poor reliability; there are many other engines that would work, if there were only acceptable cheap-ish drive solutions for them.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep seen it done with kids pedal tractors,they can fit the engine under the hood and just a chain to the rear wheels.............Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Surely somebody must have thought to do it with a bicycle? The truth is out there.....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I mean this, when I am a little less busy, gonna try and get us all to design one. Then chip in and have it made. A not for profit thing but not like an existing and already mass produced engine could not be adapted.

Really, need a plate, possibly a clutch and 4 extra holes in the base and bammm, MB engine. Every thing else is already cheap and available.

Dang, now I am getting excited about doing it. I once got excited about having a bushing made and 20K later, I am really happy about it. It's still unfinished but hey. snicker......

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I seen one in Farmshow mag. a few years back. It was a small culivator with weed eater type engine on it,they took off the tings and put a sprocket on there then to the drive wheel. If i remember right it was mounted on the front fork down to the wheel with chain sprocket,kind of chopper style................Curt

http://www.farmshow.com/archives.php here the site but lot of isues to look through.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was right. Now is it considered acceptable to hijack a picture from Motored Bikes? I don't want to be involved in trolling, flaming, bad manners, any of that, so if this is wrong, let me know and I'll remove it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The little plastic tank is just ahead of the engine.

The engine/drive ticks most of the boxes I've been on about, as the engineering is better, the transmission brings the final drive rate to workable limits, and there's less chance of banging knees on the engine.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Now we're getting somewhere. Will there be a US dealer reading this and thinking about creating a new market?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Spartamet is a complete kit. The drive shaft comes out of the engie/reduction drive with splines on it for that cast wheel to sit on.

If a person is happy at Spartamet speeds, it's actually quite a good cycle motor, and it's made from Real Metal by proper engineers.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Singer Motor Wheel. With modern engineering and electronics, you could do it. In ?1903, you'd have become proficient at splitting it down and rebuilding very quickly.