New Motor mount studs stuck

GoldenMotor.com

iphown

Jan 10, 2011
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I am working on installing my new grubee skyfire and i cannot seem to get any of the motor mount studs off no matter what i do. I have found a lot of threads on the poor quality of the stock ones so now i know to upgrade them but i cant get a single one off. I tried needle noes and regular pliers, wrapped a towel around the studs and tried, and wrapped a rubber band around the studs and still got nothing. It seems like it is easy for everyone else so i wanted to see if you had any other tips. Thanks - great forum by the way, i'm learning a lot

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
To extract a stud, put two nuts on the same stud and usin' a pair of wrenches, tighten them together. When ya try and remove the nut that has one in the way, it outa unscrew the stud forya :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hope you haven't buggered up the threads so bad that double-nutting won't be an option. If so, pick up the proper size thread die. Almost all engine mount studs will be 6mm x1 thread (metric). Ace hardware will have the correct die. Run the die over the damaged threads to restore them enough to get the two nuts on.
Once you have the studs out replace them with Allen head capscrews instead of looking for metric threaded rod. The cap screws make a much better fastener. They look better and usually will 'seat' against the mount better than the kit studs and nuts. This is also true of the intake and exhaust studs. They can be removed using the double-nut method and replaced with the cap screws of the proper length. Use lockwashers too.
Tom

Last edited:

iphown

Jan 10, 2011
Fort Lauderdale, FL
thanks for the help everyone - i'll give it a try when i get home tonight. I made sure to not damange the threads of the studs so getting the nuts back on shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the info, Tom, i actually stumbled upon a few of your posts last night when i was searching and i am planning on going that route as long as the hardware store has what i will need.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I didnt know they made a skyfire lol if worst comes to wost use vice grips and shock them by hitting the ends with a hammer sharply without mashing them into the case use heat if you have to.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
BarelyAwake's advise is probably the best one here, given we can fit the two nuts firstly, which we should.

I used a... Ergh... Forgot it's name... Basically got a grip and slowly twisted them around. The studs rotated and come out, but I slipped a few times and damaged the threads... Oh well... Old engine... No worries... :p