Resistive plug wire question

GoldenMotor.com

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
I read somewhere on here or another site someone had problems w/ their bike computer resetting when starting their HT, I too have the same problem. Would changing the stock wire, which is just a wire w/ a resistive plug wire help this problem? Has anyone ever tried a resistive plug wire? Or a "R" plug?

Thanks in advance

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't say if your speedo was wired or wireless. If wired, try routing it as far away from any engine associated parts, clutch/throttle cables, kill switch wiring etc. as possible. Try mounting the CDI on the seat tube or someplace other than the down tube and keep your ignition wiring, blue & black wires, away from the speedo wire.
To answer your question about resistance wire/plug, there has been a lot pros and cons of this discussed here. Some maintain that using TVRS wire or resistor plugs have no effect on engine performance and others will say that a metallic core wire is the best. You can try both methods; you won't hurt anything and it might fix your reset problem. Try using the search feature at the top of this page, type in keyword, 'speedometer' you'll find lots of reading and more ideas and suggestions.
Tom

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I read somewhere on here or another site someone had problems w/ their bike computer resetting when starting their HT, I too have the same problem. Would changing the stock wire, which is just a wire w/ a resistive plug wire help this problem? Has anyone ever tried a resistive plug wire? Or a "R" plug?

Thanks in advance
An "R" (resistor) plug works fine, I run them in all of my builds w/no adverse effect on performance & the other coulpa MBs around here do too - it's usually all that's needed to keep yer speedometer from hearing voices & gettin' all schizo... 'cept you don'y want to try and run both an "R" plug and a resistor wire simultaneously as that may cause ignition problems.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
An R plug won't hurt anything, put the plug alone won't solve the problem, IMHO. The problem is most likely the wire - well at least every time I've seen it, a new good wire solves the issue. I do say avoid old fashioned carbon core resistor types - they will work but eventually break n the high vibe HT 2 stroke. Maybe go with a spiral core type, such as Magnecore. You can find good spiral wires if you shop around a bit.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... good ol' HT variance is the cause I suspect, but with two different bikes just an "R" plug fixed up the Schwinn brand digital speedometers' erratic readout... one took a resistor cap and that worked (didn't have an "R" plug handy, snagged the "R" cap ofn' a dead Yamaha outboard).

...but hey it's good ta hear that the problem is not only solvable, but there's more than one way ta deal w/it ;)

Last edited: