Motorized bicycle resistance?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow!

Two bike shops, and one guy with "400 bikes" and do you think I could bring a few home?

The one bike shop practically threw me out the door when I mentioned bicycle motors. The other one changed it's tune and told me "we don't have what you're lookin' for here". (shades of the 50's in the south) and the 400 bikes guy, gave me such a run around about what he had and if/when/where I could look at them, I gave up! He did at least ask me if they "were like a Whizzer" at least.

Back to yard sales and flea markets for my bike supply I guess.

Anybody else have a problem when mentioning your hobby to "bicycle enthusiasts"?

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I live in a rural area that has become a mecca for bicyclist.Literally hundreds go by every day.Clubs,racing teams,you name it.I thought for sure I would provoke a bunch of frowning if not accusations of outright polar bear slaughter.Much to my surprise I have been greeted with smiles and waves.Maybe because I look like an over the hill Pewee Herman on my cruiser.Could be they're laughing at me.Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Wow!

Two bike shops, and one guy with "400 bikes" and do you think I could bring a few home?

The one bike shop practically threw me out the door when I mentioned bicycle motors. The other one changed it's tune and told me "we don't have what you're lookin' for here". (shades of the 50's in the south) and the 400 bikes guy, gave me such a run around about what he had and if/when/where I could look at them, I gave up! He did at least ask me if they "were like a Whizzer" at least.

Back to yard sales and flea markets for my bike supply I guess.

Anybody else have a problem when mentioning your hobby to "bicycle enthusiasts"?
Yes!! I have been told to leave the store and I'm not afraid to mention who they are: Fair Wheel Bikes 1110 E. 6th Street, Arizona Cyclist 5350 E. Broadway, Arizona Bicycle Experst 2520 E. 6Th street, R&R Bicycle 2830 N. Cambell Ave.
We have a huge biking community here in Tucson due to our weather, I know some people disagree with me but I call them "spandex nut's" They believe they own the roads here in Tucson and not only fight Motorized bicycles, but also fight the law and vehicle drivers. Alot of these Spandex nut's own most of the bike stores here in Tucson.
I have had the spandex nut's call me all kinds of names, water bottles thrown, they even spit on me one time. But, I must say I also have met a few that love motorized bikes. But most of them hate us and whish we wern't around.
I'm proud to say I've never been to there level, and do my best to ignore them ( other then calling them spandex nuts). I do have to admit the water bottle that hit me in the head really got me mad. I chased them down but there was about sixty of them and none of them had the balls to admit who threw it and face me.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Fairracing:After looking at your pic in the"Me and My Motorized Bicycle"thread who can blame them for being a little freaked out.Looks to to me like you might have a possible lawsuit for permanent hair damage.Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Fairracing:After looking at your pic in the"Me and My Motorized Bicycle"thread who can blame them for being a little freaked out.Looks to to me like you might have a possible lawsuit for permanent hair damage.Ron
rotflrotfl Is that why I get picked on?rotflrotfl

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Could be they're jealous,all that spandex and they still can't touch your lack of wind resistance.Ron

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think it is like the fly fishermen and regular fisherman. these idiots think they are purist and any thing but thier way is the wrong way. i just look at them and smile as i blow past them on my motorized bicycle (^) and if they act like they do not want me in thier bike shop i stay a long time touching everything just to annoy them rotfl

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
honestly I think that I would have looked down on motorized bicycles 8 months back :( "why would you ruin a perfectly good bicycle?" I would have said.....now... well, I see that my thought process back then was flawed, it was closed minded and WRONG.

Once I needed it, and gave the motorized bicycle a chance it its the best hobby I have. I am on the third build :confused:. anyway I think those cyclists are like I used to be...IGNORANT of the subject.

As silly as it sounds I feel better every time I ride the bike.

ps: I too have dealt with the cycling "elitists" and their shops. And that was just with regular bicylces! rotfl

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Of course it's all balanced out by the 1000,001 questions I'm asked by people from all walks of life about these bikes. Never once has a "regular person" had a bad thing to say.

Two more people want me to build them bikes ASAP, but they don't want to pay for new bikes....gotta find some used bikes that are within driving distance to pick up!!!!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
It tickles me that you have to wear a special clothing to ride a bicycle or be in a certain group etc to be cool or what ever they are?!
I like to ride naked it not only takes balls but it shows themrotfl:ride2:
I'm only kidding.

Its to bad that people can't live and let live.

Oh by the way if someone was to throw a water bottle at me I'd have to go get out the airplane and go find the group and toss them a couple of bowling balls at over 200 mph.
Here catch these you seals on wheels.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Normy naked on a bike. Let me know the day your gonna do that and I'll make sure I'm out of town. Maybe you should go ride around Lick's house that way. He might give ya a ticket...............rotflrotfl

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is a video of the group that hit me in the head with a water bottle. This video they are talking about being stopped by the sheriff dept. They have had many people call to complain about these guy's. They got stopped by the sheriff a few weeks after they hit my beatiful hair rotfl

YouTube - The Pima County Sheriif's Car Runs into the Shootout

Oh, by they way. They ride every sat. The guy who started this shootout is the Owner of FairWheel bicycles. He's not a very Fair guy

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
It'd be fun to get about 300 motorized bicycles together and go ride some circles around them sometime. Maybe show em what it feels like to be outnumbered................rotfl

csetech

Mar 18, 2008
Euless(DFW) Texas
Our big bicycle shop is a piece of work. I use it because it is about 4 miles from my house and they have a large service department with lots of bicycle type parts. I am about 40 pounds over weight. When I walk in the door, They ask me if they can help me but with the demeanor and attitude I pick up it is, Hey you Fat F*****, your in the wrong store. I absolutly will not reveal that I am a motored bike guy and if I ride it up there, I hide it on the side of the building and and walk around. Years ago I took an electric hubmotor on a wheel and asked if they could "center" the wheel or whatever that is called when you keep it from hitting the brake pads at one spot on the wheel. The owner ran over and said "We don't touch ANYTHING powered, get that thing out of here. Seems like everything they do is snotty. I commented about how clever the bike stands they were using were and they VERY condensingly said... "They been doing it this way for about 100 yeeers..Heeers your sign"..
Jeeze I just wanted to compliment his shop layout.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
that just amazes me. i have had many buisnesses over my lifetime. it is hard to make a buck and to have that kind of attitude its hard to believe they stay in buisness. shoot i would say 90% of us are over weight at least a little. so what! that is one of the things that happens when you hit middle age the middle of our bodies grows. smile and don't let them bother you. people used to feel the same way about people on motorcycles and it took a long time for them to accepted. with gas prices the way they are these motorized bicycles are going to continue to get more and more popular and the bicycle shops are gonna have to learn to cater to us. just give it time

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I got this on Sunday...I stopped to ask a "bicycle guy" about the bikes he had for sale this weekend and he looked at me (I walk with a pretty good limp since a drunk driver tried to kill me 10 years ago) and he said "What are you going to do with them?" I said "Whadda ya' mean? I'm gonna RIDE 'EM." He said "Uh huh, well, that one is a hundred bucks." It was a well used (really beat up)MtB, a Schwinn Sidewinder....then added "Well, it's a SCHWINN ya' know. I rolled my eyes and said "Yeah, I know, is that an English, American, or Chinese Schwinn?" He stuttered and I said "That's what I thought and turned around and left.

Good thing I didn't get to the part where I had to ruin his day with "I'm gonna put a bicycle motor on it."

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
Our big bicycle shop is a piece of work. I use it because it is about 4 miles from my house and they have a large service department with lots of bicycle type parts. I am about 40 pounds over weight. When I walk in the door, They ask me if they can help me but with the demeanor and attitude I pick up it is, Hey you Fat F*****, your in the wrong store. I absolutly will not reveal that I am a motored bike guy and if I ride it up there, I hide it on the side of the building and and walk around. Years ago I took an electric hubmotor on a wheel and asked if they could "center" the wheel or whatever that is called when you keep it from hitting the brake pads at one spot on the wheel. The owner ran over and said "We don't touch ANYTHING powered, get that thing out of here. Seems like everything they do is snotty. I commented about how clever the bike stands they were using were and they VERY condensingly said... "They been doing it this way for about 100 yeeers..Heeers your sign"..
Jeeze I just wanted to compliment his shop layout.
oh yeah. I got the same treatment I am not fat, but I am poor :D, and I considered myself a cyclist . They didn't like me much in this store in pasadena, after the one time I asked how much where some "basic" cycling shorts, when they told me they where $140 I chuckled a little. when I realized they where serious I flat out told them "you're f'ing with me right? what do they ride the bike for me?". then they chuckled with that same demeanor like saying-hey poor boy youre in the wrong store-. rotfl

good times. I think I actually rode more than they did. since I didnt use a car. the bike was my sole transportation. but they where the "hardcore" cyclists go figure. oh and I did 6o mile rides on jeans :eek: yeah I took it like a man :( . and I could ride over 20mph non stop the whole way. I guess once I had to do it, I became a better cyclist by accident, then they did on purpose.

astronut

Mar 16, 2008
that just amazes me. i have had many buisnesses over my lifetime. it is hard to make a buck and to have that kind of attitude its hard to believe they stay in buisness. shoot i would say 90% of us are over weight at least a little. so what! that is one of the things that happens when you hit middle age the middle of our bodies grows. smile and don't let them bother you. people used to feel the same way about people on motorcycles and it took a long time for them to accepted. with gas prices the way they are these motorized bicycles are going to continue to get more and more popular and the bicycle shops are gonna have to learn to cater to us. just give it time

I WONDER THE SAME THING! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Its bad enough that these jerks gravitate to bike shops. Here on the East Coast when you go into a bike shop, you can almost guarantee there will be the resident bike shop dog (a cool thing), and the resident bike shop jerk who acts like he trained Lance Armstrong.

Maybe the attitude is a side effect of prolonged spandex use.

The unfortunate thing is that many of these condescending-jerk-cyclists take their attitude with them on the road...ticking off drivers wherever they go.