Different Style Tanks?

GoldenMotor.com

aussiedan

Feb 23, 2013
australia
Has anyone tried to modify an automobile coolant expansion tank to use as a fuel tank?
i used one on a bike i built with a pocket bike motor it worked well but looked abit ugly i dont have any pics either

i have made tanks from fire extinguishers and im making a west coast chopper tank fit in the frame of my cruiser,i dont have a mig welder so im stuck ising the arc and still manage to get them sealed it just takes alot of patience

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I think if you could find an aircraft surplus 6" X 2 ft oxy tank it would make a great one ala old Cleveland M/C. On one of mine I used 4-1/2" exhaust tubing with bulged ends I made by putting 4 pcs 16 ga. on a 4" pipe collar and applying 6000 psig with a rubber stopper with a press. The tanks were mounted in straps on a saddle bent over the top tube. The caps are from auto power steering reservoirs. The shutoff valves were 1/8" Hoke needle valves. The tops were silver-soldered on top with 3/16"' brass rods threaded 10 x 32 with pointed ends extending to the outlets at the bottom. It was built the way they looked in the 50's It had a 3 hp. Clinton from a 1956 Yazoo high-wheel lawnmower.. It was on a Hopalong Cassidy Rollfast I had bought for $12 and too late discovered a restored bicycle like it for $1600. It had the Rollfast spring fork. A friend bought it for $250 for his car and bike collection. I am going to try to include a picture of my current one with the 6-1/2 and 3 sp. Sturmey-Archer tranny as a jackshaft, The tank is Hodaka Ace 90, I like it anyhow. You might get lucky and find a peanut chopper tank.

Attachments

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I used an old car drive shaft, cut to length. The front yoke is a heavy cast piece that looks cool when ground down. Sealed the back with a piece of plate steel welded on. Held just under a gallon, and quite heavy duty.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I hope this works. I located my old green 3 hp Clinton/Rollfast Hopalong Cassady in "my photos" and sourced it by a file number . This is the one with top mounted shutoffs and PS reservoir caps. Made from exhaust tubing. It shows a settling bowl and another shutoff underneath.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
.shft.Trying again re-sized By golly it worked this time after re-sizing. Thank you Photofiltre. This is the Rollfast with 3 hp Clinton With homegrown fuel tanks. The design is typical of what we rode late 4's early 50's The handlebars for foot-box support /crash-bars is very strong and almost all motorbikes back then in Bartlesville OK One exception was an old fart that rode to work every day with a 2 cylinder Maytag 2-stroke on the rear rack. This was during WW2 gas rationing.cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited: