New guy from boise. and i've got questions!

GoldenMotor.com

hero411

Apr 1, 2011
Boise
Hey, my name is Derek. I dont have a motorized bicycle of my own but i am currently assembling one for my friend and i cant seem to figure out how to hook the clutch cable up to the clutch. I have a general idea of it but there seems to be a trick to it that i dont get. BTW this kit came with no instructions so dont point me in that direction. anyway all i'll need are some good clean pictures of where the cable meets the motor.

and if its simple i'll hate myself haha.. and thank you.bf.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
First, the clutch cable is the one with nothing on one end, which you have probably figured out already. The outer casing of the cable, called the conduit, goes down by the right side of the cylinder and gets the larger of the long springs around it to keep it off the hot motor. The end of the conduit slips into the adjusting screw mounted in the bolt just under the carb. This mount has a nut you can loosen to let the cable sort of point in the direction of least binding. The inner core protrudes from the lower end of the conduit aiming toward and through the clutch lever on the motor and is retained by a little fastener with a set screw. Nothing lines up perfect but works okay. Leave a little adjustment available on the handlebar lever and take all the slack out of the cable and tighten the set screw. When you get it running you will have to fine tune your adjustment to get it working just rught. You can also bend the lower clutch lever into a banana shape so it points toward the lower adjuster better. You take it out of the sprocket cover and bend it in a vise. Don't go too far, a little will do. Then tighten the lock nut on the lower adjuster. Oh, the smaller of the long springs is supposed to go on the lower part of the cable between the clutch arm and adjuster, but I never use that spring because the clutch return spring is strong enough to disengage the clutch without it. It is basically to return the clutch arm to the disengaged position, but I feel it's not necessary.

hero411

Apr 1, 2011
Boise
thanks for the advice. i managed to figure it out last night. At this point i've got the entire kit installed, but i cant seem to get it to fire up. i suspect its the fuel mixture, but i still have to check for spark before i jump to conclusions

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hero came over to my house today. We worked over the ignition wireing, got that straightened out. Didn't have much time but when he left I had him rebuild the rear rag joint setup. Overall it's a real nice install going. Gotta work on the coaster brake setup, though.

Told him to just call and come over anytime to work on the bike. Hero has a friend who is helping him out and between the three of us we'll get her running.wee.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Success!! Hero came over and woke me up from a sound sleep to tell me he got it going after rebuilding the rag joint. Then he goes, "I need a master link, Mine shot off into the back yard." Lucky for him I had a spare master link (and still have another).

After looking over his black motor I've come to the conclusion that the Chinese plug off all the holes and DIP the motors in paint!! Somehow that does not suprize me at all :p

I'm a little confused as to who is who between these two guys but the bike still runs whoever ;)