Out Of Stock

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
whats the matter with these knucklehead vendors that they can't keep stock? I wonder why a person would even be in a business if they can't deliver.

The short of it, they're losing lots of money.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
and getting things from china is no hassle at all, to have something in stock when its out of season, i totally agree they should have a constant supply when there sales would essentially be a trickle, and the market could change devaluing current stock in a changiing market.

whats wrong with these bozos! :mad:

in all seriousness if you've ever been involved in a small retail business there are definitely better months then others for most of us, and a lot of the time (especially in my field which is pcs+cell phones), the market can shift so something we bought will lose value while it sits on the shelf. it actually got to the point where we don't even stock cell phones anymore because metro pcs releases like 5 new models every month and has aound 30 choices, if someone wants one we can special order there exact model and have it in 24 hours.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
didja ever think maybe business is booming and the products are just flying off the shelves?

i mean, i love those orange Hostess Cupcakes, and i probably buy at least 4-5 two-packs a week. a lot of times the liquor store is out of them, so other people must enjoy them as much as i do.

a giant company like Interstate Brands (Hostess parent company) should realize that they need to step up the production and distribution of orange cupcakes, and my local liquor store should recognize the fact that he is losing money by not stocking more of them on the shelves.

now, i've never actually done any research, or even asked, why it is that they always run out of orange cupcakes, and maybe there's some reasons i haven't thought of, like FDA Import restrictions, or maybe they're being subbed out to different cupcake factories, or maybe it's just one baker in charge of making orange cupcakes and she can't keep up with demand.

it could also be that Hostess didn't anticipate a sudden surge in product sales for their orange cup cakes, and didn't make enough during their last production run, and since Twinkies outsell them by a wide margin, they figure they're not losing money, and a few disgruntled customers aren't enough to warrant a special run of orange cup cakes.

whatever it is, i sure wish they'd get their act together. or else i'm gonna have to start complaining...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Inventory sitting on the shelf is like money in a passbook savings account. It is doing nothing but laying there. Believe it or not it is better to have a back order, than to have twenty or thirty K worth of inventory sitting in a warehouse on which you are paying rent as well.

If every merchant had a working crystal ball, none would ever be out of stock or have a single item on his shelf. As it is small business is a crap shoot pure and simple, they do the best they can. Most of these merchants don't have a 100k to invest in inventory whose true value can change daily.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
True fact Twinkies can survive a nuclear explosion. The last edible thing on earth after the fall of man will be a Twinkie. In a thousand years they will be digging them up and wondering what kind of people ate such things. If they can even recognize them as food.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I like HoHo's!laff

dnut
i'm more of a ring ding man myself.

True fact Twinkies can survive a nuclear explosion. The last edible thing on earth after the fall of man will be a Twinkie. In a thousand years they will be digging them up and wondering what kind of people ate such things. If they can even recognize them as food.
i have serious doubts about that, go take a twinkie out of its wrapping and let it sit for a week, it will certainly not be the same as it was a week ago.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Here is another analogy. If China cant keep up with demand [little engines for our bikes] why don't we build our own?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got a craving for hostess blueberry pies. for some strange reason, they don't sell them in california (at least everywhere i've been) and i'm pretty sure they're not even available on the west coast. i did some work at a Hostess plant in, uh, i forget, but it was east coast, and we did a repeater system on their roof (for plant-to-plant communications) and i brought up my gripes about their lack of support for us west coast blueberry pie lovers. they gave me some crap about regional availability of certain items or whatever.

when i got back home, there was a case of blueberry pies with my name on it sitting in our SoCal office.:)

now, if any of you east coasters, or anywhere else where Hostess Blueberry Pies are stocked want to make a deal...;)

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
whats the matter with these knucklehead vendors that they can't keep stock? I wonder why a person would even be in a business if they can't deliver.

The short of it, they're losing lots of money.
Knucklehead?

I will accept that. We are about to run out of Shifter Kits again, because basically we did not anticipate the the huge upswing in demand. Well, we have seen oil prices going up and we see the ME in turmoil. So we increased our orders to our suppliers, but you see the economy has picked up some and lead times have moved out, some have added a week, some two whole weeks.......we are working as fast as we can, and have little time for new products. Plus I wrenched my back, it's tax time, many new dealers are signing on, etc, etc.

So Knucklehead it is. We may run out by Friday, but we will be making parts and kitting on Saturday. Sorry about the delay. .flg.

Thanks,

Paul (and Jim)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I know it might be personal ,so apology ahead or time,but how many shifters especially new ones are out here now?