Hawgthorne!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
well ive been riding the crap out of this thing and its a blast! Took some more pictures of it an thought i would post them. Has a few bugs that needs fixen like new tires i really hate to get rid of the double eagles i love the look of them but i think ive gotten all the use i can out of them. Anyone have any suggestions for some good vintage looking tires? Would appreciate the input. Been tryin to post these pics for a while but everytime i get on here i get sidetracked looking at all the great builds on here.I have some videos i would like to post when i figure out how. any way heres some pics.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME!
Love every inch of it. Make do with what you have is awesome. What did you do to the fan shroud is it been modified or is it a different one?..Love it..........Curt

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Oh yeah, that's the stuff...how about Electra vintage diamond pattern tires, they come in black or cream. They are a nice fat balloon tire, would look awesome on a bike like that...got mine through Amazon.com.

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
thanks guys the fan shroud is off an old clinton engine i cut down to fit took the recoil off and put the pulley on. thanks for the suggestions on the tires goldy guna check them out now.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The pump thing that is next to where you tied the pull cord when not in use by the bottom of the seat, what does it do.

I think I see it run down to by the carb. I have heard of oilers that pump oil the chain while underway, but I also thought instead of a primber bulb for a carb to start the engine when cold, not sure which.

Like to know what it is.

Measure Twice

And by the way really some nice work, rustic look!

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Oh yeah, that's the stuff...how about Electra vintage diamond pattern tires, they come in black or cream. They are a nice fat balloon tire, would look awesome on a bike like that...got mine through Amazon.com.
Are they the same as the old goodyear diamonds? I got one vintage diamond left and am in the market for a new match for it

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Thanks goldy for the tip on those tires they look the part pretty well, think im guna try a set. hey measure twice the pump your talkin about is off an old blow torch thought it looked like a pump they used to use on the old motorcycles. I hooked it up to the choke lever to set the choke and also use it to kill the engine. The cool part is it says ashton manufacturing on it and ashton is my grandsons name he thinks thats pretty cool having his name on papas bike.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
OK yea. You are quite creative. I have seen others here do stuff like make a second cylinder to look like V twin, but is just a second fake for looks. You have the looks then of a chain oiler from the part of a gasoline torch, but it does choke to start and also kill switch and is real neat I'd say!

I have one in our family of the gas torch that is way old. It has a pump and also you strangely also pour some gas into a little trough under the jet nozzle to heat the thing up along with pumping air pressure above the gasoline in the tank it has. Once heated it no longer needs to be heated from the gasoline in the trough while you’re running the torch. That is the kind you probably took it from I'd guess?

I have and extra carb that has a primer bulb that I have mounted on the top bar next to the gravity feed gas tank. I have a hose to take the pressure to an inlet of the newer Briggs carb that was supposed to utilize a primer bulb built into the air filter. My parts are a mish mash and have I have an air filter that does not have the integral primer bulb so I make do with twin carbs (one sort of a fake) and 1 cylinder:)

Below is a video on Youtube of a past event that is been going on for about I think 18 years and I was not at this one pictured but the last two. I though of the torch part on the motor bike and though of this...... enjoy!

Measure Twice

"Riding Man," Flaming Bicyclist at Burning Man 2007 - YouTube

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Blackhog, your bike is an inspiration to me.

I have a question, could you explain the mechanization of your throttle? Possibly including a pic of the throttle linkage close up? I can see from one of the pictures that there is a cable attached to an arm that is then attached to a bolt:confused: that travels through the bar out to the end of the throttle grip?

If you have time to describe it, I'd appreciate it.

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Yes Charliechaindrive, I have seen those plans and wondered about how much cable travel you can get from that set-up. But Blackhog's throttle looks like a rod that runs through the handlebar and attaches to an arm that attaches to a cable outside of the handlebar.

Thanks,

Gilbert

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I was looking at the vintage plans. I think if one got a ACME thread it would move a lot faster and further.................Curt

punxs

Jan 24, 2012
Canada
Blackhog, I like the look of your bike and I am looking forward to start mine very soon. I noticed that you did not use cranks on your bike. Is there any reason or difference with or without them? I am just doing some research before i start mine. Thanks....

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Blackhog, I like the look of your bike and I am looking forward to start mine very soon. I noticed that you did not use cranks on your bike. Is there any reason or difference with or without them? I am just doing some research before i start mine. Thanks....
The plans he used (I think) are from Vintage Projects and Building Plans and it doesn't have a crank on it either. The break system incorperates the rear wheel's coaster break so you don't end up like thisxct2 and never be able to stop :)