Random scratching noise inside clutch shaft

GoldenMotor.com

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi all,

A couple of days ago I've noticed this random scratching noise in my HT. I tried troubleshooting, I've removed the clutch cover, clutch plate, also removed the clutch pads. While pedal testing, still the scratching noise is there.

I've also removed the engine chain from the wheel to isolate the bike, the bike alone doesn't make the noise at all.

I suspect there is something wrong within inside the clutch shaft( not sure if thats what you call it),
but I don't know how to open up the thing. I've read a thread here that you just need a flat screw, wedge it between the two prongs, tried it but it keeps rolling including the wheel.

Is there an easy way to open this clutch shaft part.

Thanks!

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am afraid sometime soon this will seize the motor and me flying to the gutter, I hope not with my son riding with me.

I did some greasing on the gears and also on the top screw hole where the clutch cable stops.

cheers!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hi all,

A couple of days ago I've noticed this random scratching noise in my HT. I tried troubleshooting, I've removed the clutch cover, clutch plate, also removed the clutch pads. While pedal testing, still the scratching noise is there.

I've also removed the engine chain from the wheel to isolate the bike, the bike alone doesn't make the noise at all.

I suspect there is something wrong within inside the clutch shaft( not sure if thats what you call it),
but I don't know how to open up the thing. I've read a thread here that you just need a flat screw, wedge it between the two prongs, tried it but it keeps rolling including the wheel.

Thanks!
There may be a critter in there....get it out as soon as possible. That should take care of the
scratching noise....hopefully. :D

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
My master link came off and the chain got caught up in the 10 tooth sprocket a while ago.

It must have put some stress on the clutch bearing on the sprocket side, because now it makes the same sort of scratching sound you describe. Some of the balls must have become deformed in the race, maybe.

I have ridden more that a 1000 miles since that happened and no problems so far.

I used a chain breaker tool and now I run the chain with no master links, so that problem won't happen again.

The point is, if it is a minor, occasional scratch you might not have to worry about it too much.
If it really concerns you, just pick up a new engine lower half , or even a whole engine, and swap it out

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's good you did not end up flying or anything.

Yes I am worried the engine might get seized/stucked inside while riding. I'll need to find time to try opening the clutch section, find the cause and replace what needs to be.

It's ramdom scratch but deep one I think.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
In order to get to the clutch section, you have to disassemble the engine, and separate the halves.
Then you need to replace the bearings (you might have to press them out of the halves) and regasket the engine halves.
My personal preference would be to buy a replacement engine and install it, so that you can get back to the enjoyment of riding your motorized bicycle, and leave the repair for an over-the-winter repair project.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hm, on the chain side, when you pull that cover off. There's a small rod in the center of the gear with a bearing behind it. You may just need to grease that rod/bearing, when it is dry it can cause an ungodly screeching.

Lol Barely! "Feel the heat of those tiny feet!" Scotto<- :)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Hi all,

Thanks!
It says With the clutck pucks removed there is noise while rolling the bike ,,could it be the little ball bearings behind the big gear that never get oiled on the clutch side? :confused:
xct2

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Maybe it is, or worse - the bearing inside.
How to grease those little bearings by the way, that might solve it. Right now I don't know how to proceed, I've only removed the pucks to see if something got caught behind them.

Thanks!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Here's an animation of the chainside cover,
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-motorized-bicycle-clutch-assembly-8939.html
Three bolts hold the cover on, and you can pull the rod out with your fingers. The bearing may try to fall out, so watch for it. Slap some grease in the hole and put the rod back in. That's all there is to it.

gl.

edit- tip:you want your clutch in the 'engaged' position(handle out) to get the cover on without fighting it :p

edit2- oops, for clutch side bearings you should be able to get some grease in there with it 'dis-engaged', there's a little gap.

need coffee, sorry for mix up.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
that is what is susposed to move,,I have nit removed the large gear that thew pucks fit in around the edge,I know it comes off ,and should be removed over a large towel so the little balbearings don't roll away and get lost,I will try to finf the imfo on a thread search at the top of the page or in sticky notes on this site

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ok, I had the kit seller take a look on my bike. He thought of replacing the clutch plate assembly that holds the pucks. But found out that the inside bearing in the clutch shaft needs replacing instead. China bearing didnt last long to think this engine is less than 2 months and very seldom used.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
They gotta quit stamping Made in China on the inside of the races, they are susposed to be smoothe

lol