the best 49cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
looking on buying a 49cc 2 stroke chinese engine kit. Previously had a genII starfire angle head, thought it ran well. Is there anything better?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Dealer rep for customer support is far, far more important than any ol' sticker on the side - some of these motors are lemons no matter the "brand name" ;)

Other than that, check the forum - everyone thinks w/e "brand" they own is the best heh :D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've had both two different "no name" 66cc's and two Grubee 66s (not all my builds tho)... all purchased before I figured out the dealer reputation thang (oops) :p

Other than some minor variance in what was included with the kit - there's very little difference... the Grubee having only slightly better "accessories" like the twist grip... which in all honesty is still garbage lol

The thing is no matter how "good" one brand is supposed to be over another, all have about an equal chance of being a dud, having shipping damage or simply being the wrong one. This is where dealer rep comes into play - it's all fine and good should you get a supposedly awesome brand ofn some random ebay distributor, but should you find some part overlooked or flawed - yer just screwed. Yet some of the better vendors are more than happy to go way outa their way to help their customers, doing whatever it takes to get 'em on the road, some even spending countless hours here - helpin' people figure out everythin' from strangest of issues to the most mundane.

For a mere $10-20 difference or so - ya get those guys on yer "team", I'd say that's FAR more important than w/e sticker is on the side lol (I peel 'em off anyways) ;)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The best is the one you buy, and learn to tune and maintain. Not what some hype or sticker say is best.

If you bought ten different engines (not looking at the accessories that come with them) put them in a pile and toss the hype out, you could reach into the pile of them blindfolded and your chance of getting a "good engine" or a "bad engine" would be 50/50.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
thanks for the reply. Very helpful. Good to know that the engines are pretty much all the same so I don't need to fork out so much money.
There is a guy selling the grubee engines close to me for $265 ,pretty expensive I think. probably get another cheaper it elsewhere.
Just wanting to keep costs down as I want to get a shift kit as well.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
ZOMG - $265 fer a Grubee 2stroke kit??? O.O

Check out any of the vendors that have ads here, a full kit usually runs about $150... unless yer guy is sellin' 4 strokers - he's rippin' ppl off

...Then again I just noticed where ya live... *sigh* best of luck to ya, I've heard ya'll hafta pay a bit more :(

Last edited:

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
Have a Grubee 48 cc and just received a Raw 66 cc. I have to say that the grubee came with better mounting brackets, and a variety of them, the Raw came with only two 1/8 inch mounting brackets, and no thick spacer for rear engine mount. Luckily I had left over from the Grubee supply. Also I drilled out the top throttle plate were the tab is located and drove a screw into the handlebar, a much more solid alternative to that little plastic tab wearing out in about a week. I thought the Grubee had a better fuel nipple coming off the carb, unlike the Raw just sticking straight up with no clearance for a thicker fuel line.

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
The 66 cc has more power at bottom end, almost dont need to pedal to get going, but not good for the clutch. As far as speed the 66 cc seems to go a bit faster with more response at the throttle, still wasnt broken in when I sold it, had it up to 39 mph but pedal vibration was pretty intense. I weigh about 160 lbs. The Grubee just seemed to be a little better quality motor, with a better carb that has a banjo fitting, easier to use a thicker fuel line, unlike the straight up fittings that dont have any clearance. Best of luck. Chopper

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
With that being said, I prefer my 49cc then. It's really smooth with hardly any vibration. Pick up speed is not that bad, I weight only 140.