Seized Drive Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Sorry chirsme, I didn't mean to offend anybody. I apreciate your reminder that pre-load can be set on a spring, and I can see where that could be made to work provided the spring tension is dialed up pretty high. Point taken. Good call.
I didn't take offense. I was just saying what I have done and my experience with spring loaded tensioners.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I admit my conclusion was based on a theoretical model not life experience. On the spring loaded tensioner against the bottom chain run there are possable scenerios where the top chain-run could become slackend.

Hypothosis: If the MAB is going down a steep hill (effectively coasting) the rear wheel (in theory) could pull the lower chain-run tight (compressing the spring loaded tensioner arm) effectively lengthening the chain, the slack is transfered to the top run being fed into the motor. That thought does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I neither condone nor condem the concept of spring loaded tensioners, if it works, rock on! I don't want to make enemies or be Mr. Stick in the mud. This forum is awesome.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The tentioner may be spring loaded ,but, the main part of the adjustment needs a stop and the spring load is to only support the small amount of slack that would be normal with a regular tentionrer,,,the spring is not the main support