GT2-A Style Frames

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm interested in getting one of these frames with a built in gas tank like a GT2-A or a similar frame for a new build. I'm looking for recommendations from those who have built on any of these frames. I will be using a ported and balanced 69cc 2 stroke engine with a KX65, KX80, RM80, or KTM65 expansion pipe but everything else is wide open. Probably going to go with a cruiser single speed rear hub but nothing is written in stone yet. I noticed that the GT2-A has a pedestal front mount where as the GT2-S doesn't. I figure the pedestal front mount is designed for 2 stroke engines and not having it there makes it easier to mount a 4 stroke, is that correct? Are there any problems with the pedestal mount? Are there any other real differences between the GT2-A and the GT2-S? Also, I was looking at the Grubee Aluminum GTS and the Gasbike one here, are these 2 the same? How do these rate against each other in terms of strength? Bikeberry has one that looks like the GT2-A in black is that it? Also, Kings sells the these basic 3 designs here. And Bicycle Motor Works sells one which looks like the Grubee one here. Are any of these better or worse than the others? Or perhaps you recommend a better one. Does anyone custom build them or are they all China specials? Are there any tricks to building on these frames or anything I need to watch out for? All responses are appreciated!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Tyler,This one is perfect,its the real deal,not a poor copy like gasbikes.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60847

Maybe You've seen ZipTies two builds, He did a great job on both
and has a couple threads with pics and stories.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61091

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60619
What's "the real deal"? Cheap copies?? What does that mean? That black one looks nice but I think I am going to go for the GT2-S without the pedestal mount. I have read that sometimes those pedestals are welded poorly or are a weak spot in the frame and they are known for breaking or cracking. I don't need a pedestal, so why get one? Also, I can have the option of rebuilding on it with a 4 stroke if I want to later.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Gasbike is some Iranian guys that sell chinese knockoffs. It's capitalism, but also blatant plagiarism.

I ordered my frame from gasbike. It took a little longer than expected for shipping. I tried calling their customer service line and never got in touch with anyone. It eventually showed up, but I was on the verge of filing a PayPal claim.

Anyway, the knockoff frame i got seems like it's good quality. The pedestal mount is holding up after a year of abuse, so that's something. Keep in mind that the frame is quite large. The pedestal helps space it up and back more.

Check out this thread for tips. I had no clue what I was doing, so I figured it would be beneficial to others in the same shoes.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58699

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Some of the original gt2a skyhawk frame suppliers are all out of stock now? Seems to be a bit of a shortage for some reason. Mz Miami had the best prices on grubee frames but they are discontinued there at least for now...As i have heard. I do not know why. So grubee frames prices are up. Gas bike seems to be the cheapest now on that style frame as far as I have researched. i would not be discouraged in getting the pedestal mount. You can always saw it off for a 4 stroke. So a few guys in a hundred got a crooked mount is not the majority. Mine were perfect. Anyhow the gt style frames are awesome if your not in a hurry to build it, as finding all the parts ala carte takes time, but you get what you want in the end. I love my gt2a builds...go for it.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Bobby---Well, I'm putting that engine on it, I guess I will take it to the race. I definately want to build something that can go faster than my current bike but it will be for driving around town too. If you have a GT frame you want to sell bring it tuesday and I will check it out.

ZipTie--Yeah, I'm in no hurry but everyone seems to be out of stock on the GT2-S anyhow. I'm tempted to order 10 from alibaba and then selling 9 of them on e-bay or something but I guess I can wait. However, if they never get it in stock I just might do that, I'm sure I could make enough to get 1 for me for free, it would just take a little time. Anyhow, I certainly don't mind taking my time to get all the parts that I want. I was watching this video about problems mounting on a frame with a pedestal mount. It kinda scared me against it although I'm sure it will be fine 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
60 Weight-- I know what you mean about the aluminum, I don't think anyone makes them with steel although some claim "high grade aluminum" for whatever that is worth. Still, they look so nice all painted, I'm willing to give it a try, I'm probably not going to be taking it off road too often, if at all, anyhow.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Tyler, it is odd why everyone is out of stock that I have checked with. Mind you i haven't checked everywhere. I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a couple more when I could get them pre-painted and free shipping at only 140.00 each. I can't seem to get any info as to why the sudden shortage. Maybe KC has some insider knowledge? My imagination is running wild with speculation. Perhaps a new redesign... Perhaps the mfg. has stopped production for one reason or another, or something more sinister? /lol I was thinking on getting the polished Gasbike
Version but the tank seems pretty fuggly in my op and I haven't heard of anyone using it yet and hate to regret it. The tank on that one is not rounded and flatter and straighter.
If anyone knows what happened to the gt2 frames please chime in.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Zip--I'm not certain why all the dealers are out of stock, $140 is a great deal, I haven't seen any that cheap. Gasbike and kingsmotorbikes both want $200 for the GT2-S and both are out of stock. The GT2-A with the pedestal mount is $140 at kings HERE and they sell one for $160 that comes with Disc Break Caliper Brackets for the extra $20 HERE and both are in stock. It just seems that the GT2-S without the pedestal mount is out of stock. However the Alibaba link that I posted says that the minimum order is 10 and they can produce as much as 2000 a month so maybe the dealers just had a run on them or something, Possibly they are lagging on ordering them because they are expensive and require a large outlay of money to get 30 of them or more, I don't know.