Old Tecumseh HS-40 score!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Had a customer bring me a pair of vintage Tecumseh hs-40's wanting to get one mounted on a trike and offering me the other for the work. One is a side exhaust, one is a rear exhaust. I chose the rear exhaust since it wouldn't start and would be more work to use on a build.
Well, since I LOVE these motors, I said yes on the spot.
After popping the head off, I was shocked to find the engine is BRAND NEW inside! Literally MINUTES of run time!
I LOVE finding an engine this old in this kind of shape!
(The one on the right is mine)

Notice the smeared deposits on the piston? It's almost spotlessly clean. What you see is from ME starting it on the ground with a prime! (The carb bowl was full of schmutz.)
Aside from the carb bowl, it's in mint condition!
When was the last time you saw a motor this old in this good a shape?

motbro

Nov 26, 2014
SPRINGFIELD
Yeah they look like they have hardly been used for as old as they are specially since the cylinder has still got some pretty good honing marks in it.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Around here, those were used in snowblowers, they really don't get much use, so usually the carbs are junked up and all the rest perfect.
I got a 10 hp Briggs off a big one for free, back when scrap was nearly worthless- it went on a tractor- great runner (pull start though- big pull needed).

I use an 8 hp Tech on another one.
Note to you guys- the bigger Techs vibrate.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I love that engine! Have one on a snowblower. As ya said Professor. Every and I mean every Fall, starts first pull. This year with last winter's gass still in it.

It's a "chugger", for sure.