For Folks new to bikes with motors

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
First off, welcome! This is an exciting, fun hobby and a great and economical form of transportation. The forum here is a wealth of knowledge and fine people who love to help, just ask!

I just looked at 2 new dealer's web sites and just wanted to offer my opinion on some things and folks here will either back me up or correct me. All about the "one for all" thing

There are no 80cc china girl kits (AKA, happytime or HT) they are smaller and varied. There are better alternatives to drilling your frame when the front mount of your engine does not fit the down tube of your bike. I have never got 150 MPG on any build and I way 165 LBS and live in a very flat area. Normally around 130 MPG. I have yet to meet any one who on their first build, did it in 3 or 4 hours. I strongly suggest you build slow, right and tight. I hazard to suggest, enjoy that part, is very soothing and gives you time to get to know each other.

There are a bunch more, but I digress to those who know better then I. In closing, I suggest you get what you really want by doing research and getting more then one opinion, most especially mine.

I look forward to the pics you post of your creation!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I strongly suggest you build slow, right and tight. I hazard to suggest, enjoy that part, is very soothing and gives you time to get to know each other.
I couldn't agree with you more Dan. The last thing you want is your bike to fall apart on you 15 miles away from home. I highly suggest bringing a small bag of tools and some extra nuts and bolts on every trip. Trust me...I know from experience! Enjoy the rides before winter comes!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I couldn't agree with you more Dan. The last thing you want is your bike to fall apart on you 15 miles away from home. I highly suggest bringing a small bag of tools and some extra nuts and bolts on every trip. Trust me...I know from experience! Enjoy the rides before winter comes!
So true Easy! (I forget who said it, but a plastic bag for the motor drive chain. Man, that makes peddling home a whole lot easier)

And a cell phone! snork

Last edited:

RdWing

Oct 7, 2008
California
What seems to be the best suggestion for mounting to an oversize down tube...? I'm pretty handy but as a college student I don't have too many tools right now.
The bike is a Trek 7.2Fx

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi RDWing. I have used U Bolts and home drilled plates. My pref, but I have a drill press. I have also "thinned" the down tube with a mallet, but that's not a great alternative although fun. There are folks with adapters made up. With being in school, I would go to the dept with a machine shop even if it is the campus motorpool. Show them the mount and what you want to do, You will be shocked at how folks love to help with odd things such as these. And you your self give it some thought. You will come up with some thing cool. Last one I did, I pressed in a $20 vice with wood to make a mount. Is on a bike now. A wile back some one drilled a frame and it became the norm. You can do better!
They may be kits, but you are still the inovator. Build some thing cool!

RdWing

Oct 7, 2008
California
Dan, Thanks for the advice :) Lots of good things to think about, and I've actually just returned from Kragen's toting a drill and lots of other goodies. This should be fun :)
As is the slogan here, learn by doing!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH way cool! I was just wondering if I had given you a bum steer. With a drill and GOOD CLAMPS! you can do a fine front mount. Or buy one from the hardware store too. Look at pics here, some gifted folks. (Side note, a good adapter plate goes for around $5 plus shipping. do some thing cool. Remember how Dell got stated) I find that 2 above and wider works great. I am working on a flat bar that encircles the engine and will just bend to any frame. Like the classic Whizzer.

One of my favorite quotes is from a WW2 vet; "we didn't know we couldn't do it, so we did"

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Are the engines that are made by RAW better quality, then the rest. And this other guy Chris Hill he says his engines are superior because he modifies them (not clear what he does to them) but say's there superior to the mass produced ones. I would like to know if anyone has any solid information on this.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
RAW engine kits are no better or worse than anyone elses....maybe their hype is, but that's all. That is the consensus.

Chris Hill does "re-work" his kits, contact them for better details.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
anyone see the hydrogen bike coming out in 2010 this thing is really beautiful. anyone interested in checking this thing out go to hydrogenfuelcell.com and click on Mobiltity. It will probably be a little pricey, they have the ENV made in England and it can reach speeds up to 55mph but it costs around 5 to 6 thousand dollars this is also a hydrogen powered bike.