Clutch cable setup

GoldenMotor.com

R123

Jun 23, 2012
Il
Pls help me with my clutch setup. I have a very small I dea about what I am supposed to do and none of the other threads are helping all that much. I have gotten to the point where I slid the cable through a piece sticking out in the middle of the engine and then into the small hole in the rotating clutch arm. I also slid the big spring between these two spaces. To add on to this I am not using the supplied brake lever looking device for the clutch. I need to know which order to send the cable through, I.e. arm then middle piece or the other way around. Also where is the spring placement. If you need any more details to help you help me please ask and pictures would be great. Thank you for your assistance.:-||

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
what are you using for the clutch lever? the kit supplied lever locks in place, so you dont have to hold it in when your idling or not running the motor.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Throw the small spring in your junk box. Don't use it. It will only make your clutch harder to pull. The bigger spring, about a half inch in diameter is a heat/abrasion shield to protect the cable housing from the cylinder cooling fins. It goes on the cable before you run it through the cable guide that is on top of a threaded stud into the engine case, under the carburetor.

Does that clear it up? I hope.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the skinny spring is supposed to go between the clutch actuator arm (the lever thing sticking off the gear cover on the side of the engine) and the cable adjuster barrel (the bolt with the screw thing sticking out of the engine case.)

what you do with that one is throw it in the trash. it's supposed to be a return spring, but the clutch arm will return on it's own and it just makes it harder to pull at the lever.

the bigger spring slides over the black plastic cable housing, in front of the barrel adjuster to act as a heat shield where the cable rubs on the cylinder fins.

R123

Jun 23, 2012
Il
Yes very much, my last question though, my clutch arm can't swing all the way around. I pulled the bar that the lever is attached to and I found when ever the in flattened end came around I couldn't turn it anymore. Why is that

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It should point to the rear of the bike and you probably won't be able to push it in with your hand. The clutch spring is too strong. Once you have the cable connected, properly, the handlebar lever will pull the clutch arm in enough to disengage the clutch and the rear wheel will spin freely, IF, you have the cable adjusted correctly. Little to no slack.

Tom

R123

Jun 23, 2012
Il
what are you using for the clutch lever? the kit supplied lever locks in place, so you dont have to hold it in when your idling or not running the motor.
So the lever should start at the position of it pointing fully to the rear and when I pull the clutch it should come out or the other way around

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
clutch arm points towards the rear. when it's hooked up, it'll swing in toward the engine about an inch or so.

if it doesn't move, it might be stuck from sitting on a slow boat from china. then you'll have to take the teardrop cover off and whack the clutch plate with a rubber mallet a few times to break the crust loose.