Anyone Carrying Their Bike On Shoulder Straps?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My motorized bike has to be pushed/rolled up 2 flights of stairs every day, after the ride. If my 30yo son is home, he brings the bike up for me. Sometimes I don't mind pushing the bike upstairs. Hey, I'm a senior citizen; sometimes I mind.

Maybe it'd be easier if I strap this 70lb. bike on one shoulder and carry it upstairs.

Anyone doing that?

I guess I'll need to find the correct balancing positions, then use lightweight nylon strap and see how that works.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh 57, it's been a long time since I dun that!

and that was with a busted pedal bike I slung up over one shoulder...

I guess a roll-up web sling with a couple carabiners might be the best way to do it...
Them, and D-rings should be available at all the milsurplus stores for cheep.
Best
rc

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
No, no need, but never mind the balance, what about the HOT balance weight in the middle! -)
HOT balance weight and pipe are not issues. By the time I carry my protective gear and backpack upstairs, it's all warm.

Helium balloons? Nah:)

Web sling might work, and thanks for teaching me a new word (carabiner).

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
& here I was a 44 y/o man 6'4 259 lbs complaining about having to go up 5 steps to get in my front door Is there any way to move to a 1st floor apt? If not, tell the land lord you need a chair lift installed perhaps split the cost then strap it to that . On a more serious not my buddy lived in Boston when he was attending MIT. In order to get his mountain bike up to his apt. "as it wouldn't make the corners in the stair wells" he had set up a small 110 volt mini winch that he mounted to the windowsil ran the cable through 2 small pulley's He used a roofing bracket had a 3/4" 2 foot pipe welded to it w/ two pulley's . He basically got the idea from the crab boats on "Deadliest catch" Same basic idea much much smaller He even uses it to get his groceries up and a lot of other things. I mean if your gonna stay there a while. Just don't forget to put the brake on the winch, like he did one evening as he let it go out the window He was half in the bag deciding to go on a midnight summer run. Well he never made it that night as he winched it back up every foot closer the oh no... OH no!! OHH Nooo OH NOOOOOO!!!! 's Got louder I was laughing my a$$ off

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
A fridge-cart strap or tie down strap used in trucks would be good, hooked under the seat (around the post) and just under the handlebars on the stem. I used to carry an old bike up to my third floor apartment daily with a rig like that. Tried a piece of rope first, but the wider strap is much kinder on the shoulders. The length of the strap was usually set so that by standing up straight with it over my shoulder I had about 8" clearance when level. Shifted the bike back for going upstairs so the back end hung lower, forward for the trip down so I wasn't bouncing the back wheel off the stairs. I had to make a U-turn at 5 landings with it, so it went upstairs on my left side and got carried down on my right. Come to think of it, I think that old bike was left in the basement of that building when I moved out. The frame was great, the rest was in rough shape though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
A fridge-cart strap or tie down strap used in trucks would be good, hooked under the seat (around the post) and just under the handlebars on the stem. I used to carry an old bike up to my third floor apartment daily with a rig like that. Tried a piece of rope first, but the wider strap is much kinder on the shoulders. The length of the strap was usually set so that by standing up straight with it over my shoulder I had about 8" clearance when level. Shifted the bike back for going upstairs so the back end hung lower, forward for the trip down so I wasn't bouncing the back wheel off the stairs. I had to make a U-turn at 5 landings with it, so it went upstairs on my left side and got carried down on my right. Come to think of it, I think that old bike was left in the basement of that building when I moved out. The frame was great, the rest was in rough shape though.
THANKS! That's exactly what I needed to know. I just made 65. The day will come when it'll take a LOT outa me to get the 70lb. bike upstairs.

Going down is never a problem. I walk the bike down and ride the brakes.

LOL, no thanks, Jumpa.