Exploded view of a HT bicycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
So I was at My workbench and thought it would be good to have a big exploded blow-up of a HT engine on the wall to reference. Anyone have a link to one most I have seen are so tiny.

Cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Exploded view of HT

Wow, chainmaker, your question made me realize something else that I lost on my computer at work when I retired. I had an excellent exploded view of the China Girl that I'd enlarged and enhanced with Photo Shop...Rats! Now I have no way to retrieve it and I don't remember where I got it originally.
I also lost my access to a complete machine shop...I guess there are costs to retiring, huh?
If another member supplies one please let me know. I'd like to have a copy.
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

That sucks 2door! Maybe if Jim gets a free minute he can put a poster together. I'd pay $15'ish for that(B&W, don't need 40x60 full color, heh heh). He did the Clutch Animations, so you know he's gotta have the rest modeled :) Cross your fingers he sees this thread :p

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal

That sucks 2door! Maybe if Jim gets a free minute he can put a poster together. I'd pay $15'ish for that(B&W, don't need 40x60 full color, heh heh). He did the Clutch Animations, so you know he's gotta have the rest modeled :) Cross your fingers he sees this thread :p
those animations are awesome!!

darn right cross your fingers.... Jim, PLEASE make another animation but with the rest of the motor. maybe one with a color coordinated animation of the airflow and combustion process??

super educational and informative. even if you don't have the time to make any more, thanks for the few in that link.

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

yeah i appreciated his time and effort.. but still cant figure out how to get my locking screw loose but also have not had the chance to work on it either.. getting my new motor on saturday and got my new beach crusier already..

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

So I was at My workbench and thought it would be good to have a big exploded blow-up of a HT engine on the wall to reference.
Cheers
No problem. Here's whatcha do: get you some Red Nitric Acid, some Sulfuric Acid, some pure Glycerin, a large Pyrex dish, a bag of Ice, a couple Glass Thermometers, some glass Beakers, glass Swizzle Sticks, a Book of Common Prayer,...

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.

Wow, chainmaker, your question made me realize something else that I lost on my computer at work when I retired. I had an excellent exploded view of the China Girl that I'd enlarged and enhanced with Photo Shop...Rats! Now I have no way to retrieve it and I don't remember where I got it originally.
I also lost my access to a complete machine shop...I guess there are costs to retiring, huh?
If another member supplies one please let me know. I'd like to have a copy.
Tom
Oooooh Maaaan... don't remind me about that retiring/loosing facility's thing... it just takes so long to do stuff by hand... i get frustrated... "if i only had a Bridgeport or a big drill press"...lol
The animated clutch was great, I've been on the forum for over a year and must have passed it like a 1000 times, I'm glad i looked.

A few more thing I've always wondered about...
What does "HT" engine stand for?
What is the EXACT designation for the generic 66 cc Chinese 2 stroke engine most of us use? its not china girl.
And why do some STILL refer to it as an 80cc?
Any help?>
BBB

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

A few more thing I've always wondered about...
What does "HT" engine stand for?
What is the EXACT designation for the generic 66 cc Chinese 2 stroke engine most of us use? its not china girl.
And why do some STILL refer to it as an 80cc?
Any help?>
BBB
"HT" stands for "Happy Time" - originally a derogatory slur comparing the engine to cheap, unreliable Chinese fireworks... It stuck as like those fireworks, they're far more reliable than you'd think and they're an absolute blast to play with lol

TBH, I don't think there is an "exact designation for the generic 66cc Chinese 2 stroke" beyond the "in-frame 66cc Chinese 2 stroke" ...which is a bit cumbersome - thus the adoption of "HT" and "China Girl"... I could be wrong, if so I'd love ta hear what it's supposed to be :D

As for the "80cc" thing, well other than it's obvious, if ethically dubious marketing value - the story is that the "Chinese use different math/technique to measure displacement" ...which sounds good, even viable - except what bothers me about it is the 49cc doesn't seem subject to this same math... which leads me to believe in my original thought - that it's just advertising hype *shrug*

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

When Chris Hill was still in business, on his home page he explained the 80cc thing this way:

When the first ones became available they were incorrectly marketed as 80cc. When people began to realize that they were in fact smaller in displacement it was too late. There were already so many websites and Ebay adds for them that it was difficult to change. So, as the number of suppliers grew and because of the way search engines work, putting 80cc in their ads assured them of more hits than saying that their engines were 66cc, or whatever the accepted figure is today.

Chris made it clear that his engines were not 80cc but many vendors didn't bother to explain the discrepancy and continued to market their product as 80cc. Hence the plethora of ads out there for the bigger displacement engine.
Tom

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.

"HT" stands for "Happy Time" - originally a derogatory slur comparing the engine to cheap, unreliable Chinese fireworks... It stuck as like those fireworks, they're far more reliable than you'd think and they're an absolute blast to play with lol

TBH, I don't think there is an "exact designation for the generic 66cc Chinese 2 stroke" beyond the "in-frame 66cc Chinese 2 stroke" ...which is a bit cumbersome - thus the adoption of "HT" and "China Girl"... I could be wrong, if so I'd love ta hear what it's supposed to be :D

As for the "80cc" thing, well other than it's obvious, if ethically dubious marketing value - the story is that the "Chinese use different math/technique to measure displacement" ...which sounds good, even viable - except what bothers me about it is the 49cc doesn't seem subject to this same math... which leads me to believe in my original thought - that it's just advertising hype *shrug*
Once again Barely, you've proven that you are the font of info for all things of shoddy cast Aluminum, Chinese workmanship (or lack there of) and the obscure!
You Da man!
BBB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Thanks buzbikebklyn... I think heh - but honestly? I'm learnin' something new everyday, which is mebbe why I'm addicted to the place lol

This is a prime example;

When Chris Hill was still in business, on his home page he explained the 80cc thing this way:

When the first ones became available they were incorrectly marketed as 80cc. When people began to realize that they were in fact smaller in displacement it was too late. There were already so many websites and Ebay adds for them that it was difficult to change. So, as the number of suppliers grew and because of the way search engines work, putting 80cc in their ads assured them of more hits than saying that their engines were 66cc, or whatever the accepted figure is today.

Chris made it clear that his engines were not 80cc but many vendors didn't bother to explain the discrepancy and continued to market their product as 80cc. Hence the plethora of ads out there for the bigger displacement engine.
Tom
It all starts to make sense now :D

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.

FALSE ADVERTISING? MARKETING SPIN? On the part of our stalwart Asian suppliers?
Say it aint so!...lol
As far as a name goes I use to call them "China Dolls", China 66s, Chinese fire drills
CHEAP CHINESE P>O>S's... you get the idea...
These guys need to use a better grade of beer can.

I've been trying to find a shop with a CnC machine that would enter the specifications for the china girl and maybe bang me out a few billet cases, barrels and heads... but no luck so far.

So far the Grubee GB5 rat motor seems like the toughest of the type, with its fully counter weighted crank, bigger main bearings, fully internal ignition system and most of all... its steel sleeved barrel.

Slap on a Manic Mechanic ash tray cylinder head, its shorty intake and a SBP pipe on it and you ALMOST have a motor that is pretty much goof proof and nearly fabrication free.
(Shift kit too).

Summers coming and my shop has a back order on 20 GB5s
I SMELL 2 STROKE!
BBB

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Just a thought, I don't think "Happy Time" or HT was meant in a bad way. More descriptive. Just sayin' and could certainly be wrong.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.

Just a thought, I don't think "Happy Time" or HT was meant in a bad way. More descriptive. Just sayin' and could certainly be wrong.
Dont get me wrong Dan... The HT pretty much does what it was designed to do... its just that i cant help feeling that some were in china were being laughed at as some guy named Fong is taking a leak into the smelting pot.
BBB

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal

super terrific happy time Chinese engine.... I believe is where the "ht" came from.