airspeed indicator for speedo

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
airspeed indicator for speedo and HS report

I borrowed this from my ultralight to check the speed of my sprocket change from 48 to 56 teeth.
Was way overgeared with the 48 and 3.25 ratio chainbox. top speed is still the same at a tad over 40mph. Gets there a lot quicker now and can now climb moderate hills without pedal assist.

My new 66cc slanthead /41t, is way faster at takeoff and much more low speed power, but maxes out at bone ratteling 35mph. The HS has hardley any vibration at all speeds.

DSC_1407.JPG

DSC_1409.JPG

See next post for more on the HS

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Re: airspeed indicator for speedo & HS report

i borrowed this from my ultralight to check the speed of my sprocket change from 48 to 56 teeth.
Was way overgeared with the 48 and 3.25 ratio chainbox. Top speed is still the same at a tad over 40mph. Gets there a lot quicker now and can now climb moderate hills without pedal assist.

Changed the oil again today. 2nd oil change, 2hrs run time, hard ones . Still a lot of aluminum in the oil.
Chainbox oli was not much metal but smelled burnt. Gotta check, oil prolly gettin to clutch compartment thru bearing seals. Might try a drain hole in the clutch compartment

my new 66cc slanthead /41t, is way faster at takeoff and much more low speed power, but maxes out at bone ratteling 35mph. The hs has hardley any vibration at all speeds.

View attachment 32523

View attachment 32524
DSC_1408.JPG

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
how does it work?
Is that 40mph with a back wind or a head wind?

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
It was late yesterday, calm wind conditons.

Thats a Hall Bros wind meter. Been used for years on hanggliders and ultralights.

The disc floats on a wire in the tapered tube, The tube has a small air inlet bottom front and an outlet on top. The increasing wind pressure dloats the red disc higher to indicate speed.

They are known to be very accurate windspeed indicators. They were about $24 a few yrs back, with choice of long or short mount and clamp.