60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
Did you see that movie "Worlds Fastest Indian"? I think thats the name. Aerodynamics was the key to his speed. That, and nitromethane. With five horsepower, low rolling resistance, and a low drag coeffiecient, 60 is no big deal with a mildly modified HT. All the money will be spent on the chassis, in my opinion. However, getting to 60 mph in only a quarter mile from a dead stop really will be a feat, if the bike is single-speed. Anyone thinking CVT?

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I'm sure DVBikes can do it. The top land speed for a bike with no motor on flat ground is 80ish mphI think lol. He can either spend thousands on one of those bikes:

Hey, Where can I get one of those fiberglass bubble deals for my bike.................... I wanna be the first MBer to go to the moon!!!

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
and no response to me either. you wont hit sixty and if it's an nhra dragstrip, you wont be riding your bike there either.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
There are those who have years of experience with engines...and there are those who don't.

This is not a pissing contest.

Just calm down, and let things unfold as they will. The reason for making a speed bike has already been stated. It will go to Trinidad when finished. We just figured that forum members would like to see the progress...If not, I will ask the mods to delete this thread, and we will not discuss this build any further. Simple enough! The matter is of a complete indifference to me!

Foureasy...it is possible, using the China engine, to go 60mph+

No...they don't hold NHRA events at Sunshine speedway. It's just a small, hick, track. But they do have the standard traps. I'm sure the customer in Trinidad could care less. We are going to go to Sunshine speedway for the safety aspect. No traffic...and yes they will let us run it down the track!

Jim

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this post started as a comical challenge, turned into a curiosity, then became a possibility.

but, sadly, it turned into a comical challenge again, with cheerleaders and hooligans.

i'll bet i can modify the stock engine, stock carb, and stock exhaust, without adding any bolt ons, and get 60+.

any takers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sure, I'll bet you one dollar you can't do it. :)
Now, all you need to provide is proof- something that has yet to materialize in all these speed claims, and we know I ain't talkin' 'bout a Bell bike speedo readout photo.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh! Oh! I know! bairdco, you are going to strap a RATO pack on the stock kit, then just hold the clutch in and pull the trigger, right?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Joe,

Believe me...I have never had any desire to make one of these engine powered bikes go fast, until recently. This is based on a customer request, and he fully understands the risks of racing.

I haven't even messed around with trying to tune one of these for perfomance until now. Honestly, they are fast enough for me as they are.

This week, we hit 40 mph, (Gps), with very little modification. Very little in my book anyway. It is a 26" beach cruiser bike with a 40T rear sprocket. I'm sure the next 20mph won't be a problem. The bike still accelerates "hard", so I could just step down the rear sprocket and hit 50mph with an engine that is still soggy. We can all laugh about the Chinese 66-69cc engine...but the fact remains that this is a 66-69cc engine. I had a heavy, (compared to a bicycle), T/C 90cc Suzuki enduro when I was a kid that would go 75mph.

None of what I do to make this bike fast will be for sale to the general public. The very thought of a kid bolting a high powered engine to a $89.00 Huffy Cranbrook doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, if ya know what I mean.laff

The parts I offer are geared toward making the total package smoother, safer, and more rideable. My product designs will continue to be geared towards solving problems that make building and riding a Motorbike more fun. I've got a long way to go; but ultimately I will have a variety of products that will offer the builder an alternative to the kit supplied hardware. The stuff I make is not for everyone...but it is available as an alternative.

Jim

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Hi Joe,

Believe me...I have never had any desire to make one of these engine powered bikes go fast, until recently. This is based on a customer request, and he fully understands the risks of racing.

I haven't even messed around with trying to tune one of these for perfomance until now. Honestly, they are fast enough for me as they are.

This week, we hit 40 mph, (Gps), with very little modification. Very little in my book anyway. It is a 26" beach cruiser bike with a 40T rear sprocket. I'm sure the next 20mph won't be a problem. The bike still accelerates "hard", so I could just step down the rear sprocket and hit 50mph with an engine that is still soggy. We can all laugh about the Chinese 66-69cc engine...but the fact remains that this is a 66-69cc engine. I had a heavy, (compared to a bicycle), T/C 90cc Suzuki enduro when I was a kid that would go 75mph.

None of what I do to make this bike fast will be for sale to the general public. The very thought of a kid bolting a high powered engine to a $89.00 Huffy Cranbrook doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, if ya know what I mean.laff

The parts I offer are geared toward making the total package smoother, safer, and more rideable. My product designs will continue to be geared towards solving problems that make building and riding a Motorbike more fun. I've got a long way to go; but ultimately I will have a variety of products that will offer the builder an alternative to the kit supplied hardware. The stuff I make is not for everyone...but it is available as an alternative.

Jim
Ya ok,40 might be easy, and 50 might be reached, but wait till you try for the last 5 to 10 mph....
LSR guys always say my bike will do 200 mph no problem until they try and only get to 185 to 190 and can`t get that last 5 mph.... :-||

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
On a small bicycle, performance has nothing to do with going fast. Its wind resistance and road resistance. Use small tires, good bearings and a 12 year old boy for your run, hence less wind resistance. Ha. Now that's how you get 50+.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Bicycles have achieved some pretty impressive speeds, especially drafting. The current record for an upright bicycle drafting at Bonneville is 166.994mph. Admittedly the bike wasn't fighting much air drag but it was on it's own two wheels with a guy pedaling at that speed. The official record for an upright bike pedaled without drafting is 51.29mph. Considering that an athelete can't generate much more than 3/4 hp for a short time it shouldn't be hard for a 2hp engine to exceed 60mph. It will be interesting to see if it can be done on a dragstrip from a standing start.

Status
Not open for further replies.