New, never built one, global warming inspired

GoldenMotor.com

plantthoughts

Jun 23, 2009
Berkeley
Basically I've researched the **** out of it, and the best cheapish vehicle option combining ease of use and low impact on environment is a DIY motorized bicycle and/or microcar/trike etc.
I'm not a bike nut, in a perfect world we'd all have low to the ground quads which can be pedaled or driven by clean motors.... but a motorized bike is the option which presents itself due to current laws/science/manufacturing.
Many people say "why even motorize it you lazy bum?!" to which I say, I will always have an unmotored bike as well, but when I need to pull a very heavy load up a hill, or when I'm sick and I still need to be somewhere, I will be glad I have a vehicle which gets 100+mpg.
Electric costs too much (for now), plus it nukes yer balls, propane is too expensive to be worth it YET (wait till the oil crisis really hits america), cng is too dangerous, hydrogen equipment is too expensive (for now), and compressed air power equipment (my fave, requires a microcar though, pretty bulky, but worth it) is too expensive (also for now).
Oh and they still have yet to mass produce a tiny diesel light enough to power a bike. I'm sure it's possible, using composites (need more compression but want to save weight, think beyond aluminum)
So... here I am, hoping to stand on the shoulders of motorized bicycle riding giants

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Welcome, I am going to be building a browns gas generating bike. I will be attempting to generate enough browns gas for an entirely gas free motor. Lots of prototyping, and Idea's to toss around. However welcome to the very addictive world of putting motors on stuff!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
You aren't lazy for motorizing a bicycle. I do a 50 mile round trip commute a few times per week on my mobike. Pedaling to work and back takes twice as long as it takes with motor assist.

I still go on pedal rides regularly with my MS 150 group and a mountain bike group.
Cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A diesel motor could work. They had diesel model airplane motors when I was a little boy. Air cooled, weighed no more than a gas or model fueled motor and could swing a bigger prop than comparable sized motors. I wonder why no one has looked into a small compact diesel. Maybe they're out there but I haven't seen them.
Anyway, welcome and have fun with whatever you decide to motorize.
Tom