from North Central AL.

GoldenMotor.com

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
I'm curious about these things. I saw one today in the back of a pickup. I looked up your site on Google just to see what's what.

Back in the 50's my buddy and I made an Indoor short track Cycle and I found a Whizzer gas tank for our bike. Best looking bike in the 100 Cc class. It had an 80 Cc MDS Italian motor in an old Columbia Bicycle frame. Racing against real Motorcycles.

Some of these Motorized bikes are great looking pieces of equipment. I hope some day to ride one.
There is a guy east of Cullman (Holly Pond) calling himself "Golden Eagle" who buys the Bike from a local Sporting goods dealers, and the engine kits and sells the finished product.
Thats what I saw in the pickup.

I think I'd like to have another big ol' fat tired Schwinn Knee Action like the Bike I had in the 40's. I just wonder how the folks on our roads would accept something like this, in their way?

What do you guys do when riding on the narrow hiways? Ride right out in the lane or stay off to the side close to the shoulder?
What happens on a long hill? Do they slow to a crawl? Does pedalling help on the hills? Or does the motor stay way ahead of the pedals?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'm curious about these things. I saw one today in the back of a pickup. I looked up your site on Google just to see what's what.

Back in the 50's my buddy and I made an Indoor short track Cycle and I found a Whizzer gas tank for our bike. Best looking bike in the 100 Cc class. It had an 80 Cc MDS Italian motor in an old Columbia Bicycle frame. Racing against real Motorcycles.

Some of these Motorized bikes are great looking pieces of equipment. I hope some day to ride one.
There is a guy east of Cullman (Holly Pond) calling himself "Golden Eagle" who buys the Bike from a local Sporting goods dealers, and the engine kits and sells the finished product.
Thats what I saw in the pickup.

I think I'd like to have another big ol' fat tired Schwinn Knee Action like the Bike I had in the 40's. I just wonder how the folks on our roads would accept something like this, in their way?

What do you guys do when riding on the narrow hiways? Ride right out in the lane or stay off to the side close to the shoulder?
What happens on a long hill? Do they slow to a crawl? Does pedalling help on the hills? Or does the motor stay way ahead of the pedals?
Howdy Thud, welcome. On hills, I help the engine by peddling. On narrow roads, I stay to the right if I am not as fast as traffic. (my top speed is around 35 on 4 stroke and 28 on my 2) Big fat tires are a great plus! Most folks seeing you ride are great and give thumbs up, smiles and waves. Cops where I live are also great and ask the usual questions. Speed, MPG (133 on my 2 stroke, 175 MPG on the 4 estimated as it is still breaking in. might be better) etc.

Lots of members from out your way. Bet there is some one near you.

Anyway, great to meet ya

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
"I'll bet there's someone near you!"

We've been here about Five years and the only bicycles I've seen belong to my Grandchildren.
I'm curious about these things though.

I'll know more about em' in the next few days.
Thanks for coming back.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i ride the same way as if i was on a regular bike,on the side of the road,and the traffic seems to stay away from me.my bike goes up hills but i have'nt ridden up any long ones.
i guess if youre going up a long steep hill you can help the motor by peddaling.
my 2-stroke goes 32+mph and gets 200mpg,and that was on a mountain bike,now i have the engine on a cruiser with fat tires and i think i will get more speed and mileage.

and im still breaking it in too,its getting better the more i use it.

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
32 Mph, LOL, I dont drive much faster than that in my Pickup. I'd be fine with that, and also with the 200 Mpg.
Lets see now, I drive the trip to town every day, 16 miles/day, appx 112 miles/week at 14 Mpg is about $20/week for gas.
Counting what the Insurance and license of the pickup cost me, the Pickup consumes about $0.75/mile to drive over a years time.
So the pickup is costing me $84/week to drive...plus gas @ $20 is right at $100/Week.

A motorized bike at $300~ and 200 Mpg, I'd be getting some of my money back in about five weeks.
And all that fresh air!
Oooops, laced with auto exhaust and chaff from the Hay fields around here during the cuttings

How about a Helmut and leathers with pads and the silk inner lining? Do you guys do that in City traffic?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Helmet big time!!! Really. I never wore one except for on rare occasion a regular bicycle helmet. (silly looking things) After I bought an even sillier looking one (that I really enjoy and looks like a 1940's sort of thing) I wore it more. I noticed I felt safer but oddly, cars pulled out in front of me less. I think it is a subtle que that I am on some thing going faster then a bike. If you read a lot on the helmet thing, you will want to wear one. Makes good sence. Pads, Great idea and I think about em a lot. Sad to say it is one of those things I will probably get around to right after I needed them.

200 MPG on a 2 stroke is hard to attain. After a great many builds I have not come close to that but I have only built with stock kits and engines.

Attachments

Last edited:

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
Yes on the Helmut and face shield. I can see now that I'll have to have a bag for stuff, including the helmut, that I can take inside with me when I reach a Destination.

I remember taking a big bug in my face just below the left eye while riding a Motorcycle. That smarts!
like ol' Goober says; "Ooohh thats gonna leave a mark!"
Also my cheeks are kinda round so goggles dont fit good. They let jets of air stream up into my eyes. With the Humidity and heat I think I'll need some air moving around inside the Face shield to keep the condensation from building up in front of my eyes.

Maybe a flashing Head light up front might help with the immature idiots that pull out in front of you.
Do any of those little motors come with a charging system to support lights?
Maybe we'd need some reflectors and marker lights for night riding or early in the AM while its still dark. How about a brake light? Do we bother with that? And turn Signals?
Lots of questions I know, but keep in mind that I've never seen one of these on the road. Just that one in the back of the Pickup.

Maybe the 200 Mpg is an un-atainable goal. Whatever I do get will be a plus. Even if its only 100 Mpg, thats costing me One Gallon a Week instead of a Gallon a Day.

It's kinda exciting just talking about this thing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
They really are exciting, and oddly addicting! For lights, the 2 stroke kits have a white wire that will power a small light. Norman here makes lights for them and there are many ways to go for lighting. There is a ton of info around. So much so, it would be hard to post a link for you. Really is a good idea to read lots before you buy so you get what you will enjoy the most. They are all fun and make for a great hobby and transportation. I would also recommend not shopping by price alone but go with a dealer with a good and known track record. For a 2 stroke or rack mount I would suggest "thatsdax" He is working on an inframe 4 stroke as well. (..and I am waiting!) But there are some other great dealers too. Bicycle-engines.com is great and has the 4 stroke HS (Honda clone engine) There really is some great folks who sell, these 2 are just who I can personaly vouch for. Here is a link to dealer reviews; http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html

Is funny that you mentioned the bug thing. Yesterday I eat my first bug. (Hard not to smile while ridding these things) Not 20 mins latter, bug up the nose! snork. You have a point about the face shield.

thudpucker

May 29, 2009
North Central AL.
Heh heh heh, the bug thing is un-forgettable. But the Wren is even more un-forgettable.
We were racing down in the old city of Portland OR.
One of the guys caught a Wren just below his goggles at the junction of his face and the left edge of his helmut.
The slurry went inside his helmet, along his face, in his ear and on out through his hair and exited going down his neck.
In that same race, another guy hit a Badger and strung him out for a 60 feet or so.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
Hi TP,

That was one of my bike builds, for those retirees over in Garden City, we've got nearly 50 on the roads locally, and more, in nearly 20 counties now.

I'm 8 miles east of Holly Pond, come out and take a free demo ride anytime you'd like.

e-mail bama_bikeguy at yahoo and I'll shoot you my phone #