Bike Broke 60MPH Yesterdsay

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Didn't know Hyundai's could roll that fast!
All kidding aside, I was pleasantly surprised by this much maligned brand's performance. I bought it recently, and took it on its first highway-trip yesterday. It was hitting 80MPH no problem. This maniac in what looks like Saudi Arabia got his (same year and model) up to about 125MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3EtKzwK2c

I'd just put on the hitch and bike-rack too...very happy to be able to take my mobo along with me!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Hyundai's are fine! Just a joke ha! Anything that can get you around and what you need done is a good car.

And Kirk your bike is one that looks better going slow! Let's everybody see the masterpiece.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Only 60? Heck, I averaged 70 most of the way from Denver to St. Louis last June. And that wasn't even WOT. I will admit I was only getting about 26mpg but... :)

Tom

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Only 60? Heck, I averaged 70 most of the way from Denver to St. Louis last June. And that wasn't even WOT. I will admit I was only getting about 26mpg but... :)

Tom
I must have a heavy foot because the best I have gotten in my Ranger is 21. I also use the motor a lot for breaking with my 5speed. I wonder if your camper shell helps with the millage as well? My average is around 18mpg city/highway.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Yes Newb, we are discussing the bike, and it did do sixty... Technically...

That being said, my bike's done 90, no sweat, did a buck twenty passing a Kenworth...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave,
My city mileage is lots worse. I'm guessing no better than 18, maybe less but I was surprised with the highway. I'm a firm user of cruise control on the highway and I can set it for 70 and not touch the gas pedal. On Interstate 70 East heading through Kansas I could burn a full tank and never change my speed. I think a constant speed helps in the MPG area. I tend to be a little heavy footed in the city too. That doesn't help.

My Ranger is an automatic with overdrive. Maybe that's the difference. Also I rarely use my air conditioning even on the hottest days.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have a small monitor, so I had to squint. Then I realized - the bike isn't leaning against some random car, it's on his rack. (D'oh!) Then I had to laugh.
The only time my old red bike has been up as high as 45 was when I was first bringing it home after finding it by the side of the road. "Tempus" has come a long way and seen a lot of miles since her "garage sale reject" days. But I seriously doubt she's ever gone faster than maybe 33 or 34 mph. On a slight downgrade at that. Never needed to.
But my 16-year-old Dodge Caravan, I still get 35 miles per gallon on the highway cruising at around 65 mph and, having a nice 3.3 liter six, she can actually move when I need her to. Now, there was one time where it was strictly pure luck, but a couple years ago at a light on Kentucky some young dudes in a Monty Carlo SS revved at me and before I knew what I did, I revved back. What we thought we were doing, I dunno. But I put all my focus on the lights and got the drop on him when it turned green. He was like just half a second too slow. My Caravan dusted a Monty. And I made it to the next red light before the driver could get his front bumper even with my rear. They wouldn't even look at me. I laughed so hard. Now, I admit, there's likely no chance I could have done that if he'd been on the ball, but you know, it was a little bit fun.

Last edited: