No more bikes or cyclecars.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
As some of you know I've been ill for a while. I have a viral infection of the nervous system as well as an auto-immune disorder. Apart from general fatigue, joint and muscle pain, poor balance, cognitive confusion etc etc, I fall asleep without warning dropping straight into REM sleep which is why I don't drive anymore. Narcolepsy has become an increasing problem which means using any kind of power tool or doing welding/brazing is a complete no-no.
I'm having to face facts so I will be disposing of all my workshop equipment and my bikes over the course of this year. I will be keeping my faithful old Hercules tricycle as the physical activity of pedaling seems to keep the risk of falling asleep away, - or at least for the present time it does anyway, - and as well as that I don't ride on the road anymore and stick to the footpath.

I won't be sitting staring at the wall though; - I've always been a keen railway modeller so I've gone back to making 5/8th scale models from wood and card of the kind of wagons and locos that ran on the bush tramways in the district where I live. I can do this entirely with hand tools so it doesn't matter if I fall asleep in the middle of doing it.

I will continue to look in on the forum from time to time so I won't be disappearing entirely. I'm still as interested in motor bicycles and velocars as ever I was it's just that I won't be actively doing any of it anymore.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Sorry to hear this. Maybe the doctors will come up with a new medicine hopefully.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Anne,
You must know that you're viewed with admiration and respect here and your regular submissions will be missed. We wish you the best and know that we're always here if you need to reach out, vent or otherwise communicate with like-minded folks who appreciate things mechanical. Or just to say 'hello'.

Take care of yourself, dear heart, and please keep in touch with us from time to time.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm sorry to hear this, Intrepid Wheelwoman.

I've found many of your thoughts and inspirations to be the seeds of other ideas. Useful stuff. Your contributions will be missed.

Though this particular forum might not focus on model railroad cars, I'm willing to bet that photos of your future projects will be more than welcome. I know that I'll be happy to see them.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

I'm so glad that you have an outlet for your creative talents. I would guess that the car you posted is a tipper car for a mine.

Please stop back and visit us often. We need your wit, skill and expertise.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thank you so much for all your good wishes and kind thoughts gentlemen. I promise I will look in from time to time to see what everyone is doing. We are in the most hot and humid part of our Summer at the moment which is not a good time for me as the additional stress of the heat and the humidity seems to bring out the worst of my symptoms. Roll on Autumn is what I have to say to that.

Yes Steve that is a wooden tramway side tip wagon. Not so much used in mining, - or at least not that particular type, - but generally used where quantities of dirt and clay needed to be moved such as digging cuttings or building embankments.
Fun historical fact. In New Zealand only the government could build railways so private lines were called tramways. In the district where I live there were a good many of these tramways so I'm not lacking for inspiration when it comes to finding something to make models of.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Annie. my friend and sister in spirit. Your words were not a surprise, but also not what any of us want to hear. I so admire you, not just for your many contributions to this forum, but for the inner qualities of kindness and grace which shine through in between your written words. We are at that point in our lives where we have become the village elders, with long lives already behind us. Not all elders become wise, but you have and I appreciate that quality in you. I am also trying to learn how to be graceful and grateful for having been given much in life and knowing that most of the sand has already run through the hourglass which makes each remaining moment, hour, day and year all the more precious and worth savoring. I, too, have had issues with nerve damage through being struck by lightning and developing guillane barre syndrome and there were years when I drove very little for fear of falling asleep... the need would come so swiftly. Five near death experiences have given me many years on borrowed and much appreciated time. I know that what you have experienced in pain and loss on a physical level has been replaced with wealth and gain in the spiritual dimension. You have a good heart, Annie, and I look forward to a continuing friendship here on the forum. Share with us what you're doing and making and thinking about... what life has taught you and what you are still learning. Here on this forum and in this tavern we tip our glasses to you with a smile and wish you all good things. You have always been a lady here and have helped some of us to be the gentlemen we really are behind all the talk of spinning wheels and engines going "vroom". You give us balance.
Lots of us older fellows loved trains as boys, so please do share with us.
And you never know, things could turn around some and find you tinkering on bikes again. If I lived a bit closer than the other side of the planet I'd offer to turn the wrenches for you on a Saturday morning, sharing a cup of tea and life stories in your work shop. Even so, we can do that in the virtual world of cyberspace here in the tavern. A table has been reserved for you here, you know.
SB

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Silver's above post made me think of a movie scene. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtpPdMGluE

Tom
Now you've gone and made me cry Tom. Don't worry they are good tears :)
I could so rock wearing a hat like that. In fact I could so rock wearing Karen's whole outfit. And there was even a wonderful colonial era train waiting at the station.
Gentlemen, I would be glad to raise a glass to all of you at any time. Thank you.

And Silverbear my oh so special spiritual friend you have deeply touched my heart. Thank you.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I don't have the best in ways of expressing in typing here what needs be said. But please do know that we all care that you are part of something great here. Do what you can and what ever it is try to yes be careful as you said, and do have fun!

MT

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So sorry.... But you have a great tude! It is sad that unless you have a common issue nobody wants to take extra steps to figure out a cure. Or insurance won't cover a possible procedure and or meds. To help. Keep that talented mind working!!!!dance1

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thank you for all your good wishes and kind messages gentlemen :D
I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday and had myself jabbed with needles either for blood tests or to put system boosting concoctions into myself.
I told my doctor that I was giving up light engineering as a hobby and she expressed her great relief that I was doing so. Let's be completely blunt here, with me having an illness that often causes me to fall asleep without warning, I have absolutely no desire to be holding a running power tool should that happen.
My tricycle will need a couple of jobs doing soon where I will need to use an electric drill, but my daughter has very kindly said that she will stick close to me and act as a safety warden while I do that part of the job. Brazing, welding, using an angle grinder or running my lathe would be taking the risk too far though.

While I will be having a general purge and major clean out in my garage workshop and selling off, giving away or horse trading everything that's now surplus to requirements, I have decided to hold onto my cyclecar. Much of the work that needs to be done can be done with hand tools alone which are mostly just fine for me to use. Any welding or engineering work needing to be done I'll take it down to the nice engineer chaps at the corner of the street and get them to do it. Progress will of course be very slow, but that's Ok.