Frame preservation

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I was curious if anyone has any ideas or links to helping out old bikes.

You see, I have an old mountain bike frame that's in sorry shape.
Purchase new from the builder back in 1988-89.
Richard Cunningham I believe.
Mantis Valkyrie x-frame es.
These bikes were the bleeding-edge of bike tech at the time.
First elevated chainstays.
He was working on that Nishiki Alien at the time and it took forever to get this frame....I was chomping at the bit.

I had a bit of remorse as to its condition.
After looking at the serial # I realized its the 9th frame made.
VK189
vk=Valkyrie
18=frame size
9=production #

It is getting a bit of rust has a couple dents and a hole in it.
I feel I should attempt to keep it from getting any worse and improve on its condition if possible, mostly just to save it.

Any ideas are welcome
Thanks

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless to plan to do something with it soon I'd suggest just keeping it dry and out of the elements. Don't have it sand blasted because unless you primer and paint it quickly it will rust much worse than it has.

That hole in the seat tube looks as if it was done with a flame from a torch? What the heck was someone thinking?

Odd that you mentioned the 'Alien'. I've never talked to anyone who remembered that bike. I almost bought one but the odd pedal configuration made it unfriendly for neighborhood cruising. It was designed for serious mountain/trail riding where the rider would be standing most of the time and pedaling hard. The one I looked at was a pearl white color. Great looking bike. And yes, that would have been about 1988.

Tom

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I had relegated this bike to the resistance trainer for many years.
I was going to put a low power hub motor on it last year then as I started to pull the thing apart I noticed how beat up it is, couple dents.
That weird hole in the seat tube started as a paint blister, I poked it with an exacto and went clear thru the frame.
I picked all the soft stuff out, I thought it was rust.

Your comment Tom, about a torch had me wondering if they got sick of some 18 year old pestering them every week for a month (frame was 3 months late) and did it on purpose, I doubt it but who knows?
I had sold my Bridgestone MB-3 to a friend and was going nuts.
After I got the Mantis riding most comments from other riders was "it looks heavy".

I don't think I will rebuild this bike, short wheel base and fast steering, not into that so much now. Also after riding full suspension now, its not very comfortable for me on a hard tail.
I don't imagine its really worth much I just though I should try and keep it from getting any worse than it is.

I was thinking spray it down with some kind naval jelly, brush then a coat of WD-40?