How much would you build a bike for?

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
One guy working on something in my house got very interested in my bike. After I started it up for him he asked me if I would build him one like mine for $3000. (custom frame mods, 4-stroke 3-7hp motor, etc). Being that his bike would be my "Model 2" is the offer really worth it? I would have to buy something like $500 worth of used tools to do it and put in maybe 100hrs and start all over again, armed only with the knowledge of my first build. And buy all the parts.. a lot of them likely brand new. Any of you guys that are not building bikes for a living taken on a customer build, and how did it go?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
One guy working on something in my house got very interested in my bike. After I started it up for him he asked me if I would build him one like mine for $3000. (custom frame mods, 4-stroke 3-7hp motor, etc). Being that his bike would be my "Model 2" is the offer really worth it? I would have to buy something like $500 worth of used tools to do it and put in maybe 100hrs and start all over again, armed only with the knowledge of my first build. And buy all the parts.. a lot of them likely brand new. Any of you guys that are not building bikes for a living taken on a customer build, and how did it go?
When I see the $3,000 cash in my hands......I might consider it. Depends on who's asking and there really does have to be some incentive and commitment.

Good luck!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Money up front or nothing. Add on another thousand while you're at it, this is work, not a hobby if you take it on.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Hand him a whizzer....new fake outs are under 2000.00....or a low mileage used,they're always online under 1100 or so

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
You just have to work out how much you will profit and compare it to how long it will take and figure out what you will make per hour. Then ‰ the numbers to favor what you would rather be doing. Also you say you have a complete build that you did yourself so you know it will take twice as long and cost twice as much. And last but not least, $3000 is the upper end of what most people build so be thoughtful the customer is going to expect $3000 worth of bike so just be sure it's solid and a good value. Good luck let us know if it works out.

Last edited: