Chain Side Clutch Nut Size and Thread Pitch

GoldenMotor.com

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Hello,
Well the chain side nut on the clutch kept loosening and loosening, and i kept tightening and tightening. And finally the nut just popped and I knew something was stripped. I thought it was the threads on the shaft! Luckily it was the threads on the nut. I am confused as to what size it is. My research says its m10 x 1.5. But I am unsure. It is finer pitched than any metric fastener I can find a ACE.

Anyone who knows please tell. I goofed and bought some M18 nuts, thinking that 18 was 18mm OUTER diameter. And it aint!

This time around I am going to put 2 nuts on the clutch shaft. Tighten the first one, then a second one to help hold it and keep it from being torqe loosened from the engine torque pulses. I put a locknut on it, but it did not hold any better. Let clutch out and she freewheels was the symptom of loose clutch nut.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds more like a symptom of a missing woodruff key - when you go to the store, take the nut from the other end of the shaft with you to check for size

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
No, its not that at all. When I tighten up the nut. It still has bite, but it never stops turning. When I took it off, there was a tiny metal sliver still attached to the nut, the thread that had sheared off. As tight as i could get it, the clutch still slipped with the lever engaged. It constantly would loosen, or break loose about once a week. So I know its the problem.

It measures 13mm ID, they don't make 13mm ID nuts, only 12. Add the
sheared off thickness of the threads and its around 12mm. So can any europeans help out here, metric measurements of bolts is not no well understood here.

I just want confirmation before I go buy some more nuts and they are the wrong size again.

Oh and ace has Coarse and Fine, but not extra fine, or whatever TPI it is. Metric and I don't know..... Nothing there matched it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
look, it's a 14x1.0 - same as the other end of that shaft - you've got about 6 threads to work with, so you'll never get a double nut on without pulling threads apart

take the nut & washer off the other side, go to the store and tell them to match them

there *should* have been a lock washer under it which will work just fine

now, unless that sprocket falls completely off its seat, the woodruff key will keep anything from freewheeling - I doubt you have one in there, so buy that too (again, the one on the other side will be the same to look for at the store)

I got a box full of those & the shafts here too - the shafts never go bad, but the nuts are sometimes badly mishandled by over-tightening to compensate for a missing key

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
What happens is it runs fine for awhile, then I let the clutch out and the engine wont turn over. I open case, and the nut has come loose, therefore no pressure to keep the assembly tight on the axle.

A hole drilled and a cotter pin would be ideal solution to keep nut from coming loose.

The lock washer is there, its a thin circle thats cut in small squares, best desc i can think of.

I dunno it locks up fine, i stripped the threads from over tightening it.
Like you say, at lower speeds I was not pedaling, and then id feel a
hard jerk on engine. I could run , or it would run fine, untill I stopped motor,
then it would be loose nut, and clutch wont grab when let out.

Ok I will check to see if woodruff key is gone or galled to uselessness.

Thanks

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Yep the sprocket was loose, and when i took it off the woodruff key was barely noticeable as it had sheared and grooves were cut into it thanks to freewheeling sprocket!
Maybe bolt will still work once i replace it. As I remember it wasnt fully out, the woodruff
key, but it was angled when in, and not I thought big enough. seems it sheared as I found another small pie wedge of metal in the grease!!!

Thanks!!

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Wow got the woodruff key at ace and had to cut it to fit. Then went looking for the nut, and if is $#%$#$%^# gone!!!! I went back to ace and I realize that it is either a M14x1.25 or M14x1.0. And they are hard as **** to find!!! Ebay has 4 of them for like 15 dollars!!!! Just my damn luck, I lost the nut not even 1 day after measuring it and posting here. It was sittin around my room for a month!! JUST MY FING LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know place i could order one of each? If I had the nut, there were 14x 1.25 and 14x 1.00 bolts at ace, ida found out fer sure what it was!!! FKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if ace had a 14x1.0 why didn't you get some nuts for it while you were there - should run 2 or 3 for a dollar

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
They had the bolts, not the nuts!!! NUTS!!! Anyone know where to get
them cheap from local retailers? They say Fiat X 1/9 outer tie rod nuts are
14x1.0. I went to some moto bike sites, and during pre checkout they quoted me 1st class USPS, then when i get to end, it's not there and they want like from 9 to 11 dollars, for a fin nut??? Nope wont do that.

Any suggestions?

Yeah and for the record above person is correct, M14x1.0. I think ill try a bike shop, but my local one is expensive, they quoted me 130 dollars for spokes!!! Nope....

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Thats not possible it was a Ebay seller and they are not there anymore.
The other side of the clutch had bad threads, and i had to tear down the entire
assembly to replace that one part.

You said you had tons of em Socal, sell me some!!