How do I remove the front drive sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

hippz

Oct 22, 2014
Canada
My chain jammed in the case and locked up, and broke a tooth on the front drive sprocket. I have a new one ready to replace it, I'm just not sure how to take the old one off, especially without just turning the piston by doing so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The old:

The new:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, to remove the sprocket first remove the nut. It looks fairly beat up but should come off, then you need the universal puller tool that comes with most kits to pull the sprocket off. If you look at the sprocket it has threads for the puller, you may have to reverse the center bolt of the tool because the tool is used for the clutch side gears also. The link below shows the tool.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1223&d=1215260060

Last edited:

hippz

Oct 22, 2014
Canada
I have the nut off now, but unfortunately I don't have the puller tool. I noticed it has that thread for a puller but don't see one in my extra goodies from the kit. I have a crank puller but it seems to be too small. They must have forgot to give me that tool in the kit. Is there any other way? I'm currently trying to pry it off but to no avail. I'm currently on a bike tour and might not be able to order something online.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can pry it off if you can apply equal pressure on two places behind the gear. Be careful not to lose the key under the gear.

hippz

Oct 22, 2014
Canada
Update:

Success! I used the puller part of a hammer and a pair of needle nose pliers and voila! I also succeeded in punching myself in the forehead in the process, but it was worth it as I can move on. It's very hard to pedal through the mountains of Colorado with 120lbs of gear, so now I can feasibly go farther than 10mi a day! Thanks guys.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Be sure to check your clutch cover on the inside where the sprocket is.

Something caught hard enough to break a gear tooth, best find out what it is before you ride again.

If this is a new gasbike kit they went from a 410 to 415 sprocket but the cover isn't designed for bigger 415 chain and it usually hit's the inside of the cover in the front straight part.

You can grind the inside out some or just cut a big notch out of the front of the cover, the Mag cover butts up against it so you don't see it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Update:

Success! I used the puller part of a hammer and a pair of needle nose pliers and voila! I also succeeded in punching myself in the forehead in the process, but it was worth it as I can move on. It's very hard to pedal through the mountains of Colorado with 120lbs of gear, so now I can feasibly go farther than 10mi a day! Thanks guys.
Cool Hippz.

If its any consolation, I usually bap my self in the chin or upper lip doing that maneuver. After busting up a knuckle or 2, of course.

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
Update:

LOL been there done that, drew blood from my bottom lip, hahaha gotta love these bikes. No pain no gain..duh.