Hooray I got the Sears free spirit working!

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I got a sears free spirit bike engine (you've seen them, also called tas spitz or bike bug) It wasn't a basket case but you can tell it hadn't been run in years. after a bunch of emails to msamigo and I lot of hair pulling I got her running. I must say this is a great little engine and a good design for a friction drive. It is beautiful in it's awkwardness.

I don't really trust my old schwinn speedo but I think my top speed is 20 with out pedaling. These were designed to be pedaled a little and I could use the exercise.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations. You have to feel a sense of accomplishment with that project. Not only is it a cool motorized bicycle but a classic engine as well. Probably close to a collector item. Be prepared for comments from older folks who will remember that engine from Sears catalogs. :)

Thanks for sharing your project and success with us. Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Congratulations! Bike Bugs were my first foray into motorized bicycles. They can be fussy to bring back from the dead, but once alive again run nicely. The key to keeping them running is to use them. Let them sit and the little whatzits dry out and as you know the little whatzits are not so easy to find.
SB