Elio in the news

GoldenMotor.com

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
I was wondering about insuring them in Texas. I gave the specs to my agent and he said, yes, State Farm would give me a full coverage policy for $260/6 mos and they consider it a motorcycle. Wonder if Texas will require a motorcycle license for it?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
A couple of the guys I work with are thinking about it, another's uncle is on the list. I'm going the high road, I'll wait and test drive one.

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
Here's the official answer for Texas Elio drivers:
June 27, 2014

Dear Mr. Thornton,

Thank you for giving the Department of Public Safety the opportunity to respond to your email inquiry.

Yes, a motorcycle license will be required to operate this vehicle on Texas roadways. “Motorcycle” means a motor vehicle other than a tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have, when propelled, not more than three wheels on the ground. Trikes are included in this description.

To apply for a motorcycle license, you must first complete a motorcycle safety course approve by the motorcycle safety foundation. A complete list of certified locations is available on website, www.dps.texas.gov, or by clicking here. After you complete the course, you will need to visit a driver license office and present your certificate of completion for the course, and you will be required to take a motorcycle rules written test and pay $16 fee. A vision test will also be required at the time of the transaction.

I hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact Customer Service at [email protected] or at (512)424-2600 should you have additional questions or need further assistance.

Respectfully yours,

Mary Jo B.
Customer Service Representative III

Texas Department of Public Safety
Driver License Customer Service Center
(512) 424-2600
www.dps.texas.gov

We are creating a faster, easier and friendlier driver license experience and a safer Texas.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Back in the days of the Isetta being sold and driven in the U.S. I don't recall ever hearing anything about driver's having to have a motorcycle license. I'm guessing that in some states which would technically consider the Elio a motorcycle that requirement would be waved. Common sense would say that it would since the Elio is much more like a car than a motorcycle. Common sense isn't always that common, however, so who knows until such time that three wheeled cars become commonplace. I can't imagine that requirements for wearing a helmet would hold up either.

I don't know how Minnesota would view the Elio, but speaking for myself that would not stop me from owning one and jumping through whatever hoops are required to be legal.
SB

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'd like to buy on of those if I liked it once I had sat in it and given it a test drive, that would be am excellent run about and for driving to work and back for me, I still need my truck, but for a very economical run to town and around vehicle that little Elio would be a lot of fun.

I'm with Tom on the set back and see how all this materializes, to many questions still unanswered for me.

map

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Reminds me of being a little kid just learning to read and seeing signs along the highway that said EAT GAS ... couldn't make sense of it. With rising prices it might now read EAT OR GAS.
SB

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Back in the days of the Isetta being sold and driven in the U.S. I don't recall ever hearing anything about driver's having to have a motorcycle license. I'm guessing that in some states which would technically consider the Elio a motorcycle that requirement would be waved. Common sense would say that it would since the Elio is much more like a car than a motorcycle. Common sense isn't always that common, however, so who knows until such time that three wheeled cars become commonplace. I can't imagine that requirements for wearing a helmet would hold up either.

I don't know how Minnesota would view the Elio, but speaking for myself that would not stop me from owning one and jumping through whatever hoops are required to be legal.
SB

My Dad and I restored a 1957 Isetta back in the late 70's. Technically it was still an automobile since it did have 4 wheels --- though the back 2 were very close together. Had a 249cc BMW air-cooled single cylinder. It would do 50mph if there was no headwind and you had enough time! Good times!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I got the shirt and the bumper sticker.

And a reservation number. I am 53XX. Yes, higher than 5300 and lower than 5400. Not good to be too precise about anything on the internet - :)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've been watching, too. In fact, I get e-mail updates from elio. But there's never anything to sink my teeth into.

I do have faith, though, that the car itself will be of reasonable quality. I'm less certain of it's chances of getting into large scale production. But I'm hopeful for them. And if they can get it to market at their roughly $7000 price point, then I think they'll have a hungry market just waiting for them.

I really do think that the only reason many of the folks around us don't buy something like this is merley because there is nothing similar available. When that changes I think we'll see changes in society's transportation habits.

So best of luck to Elio and to those here (and elsewhere) who've put a bit of moolah into it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
What? You want them to send you some meat?

I don't know why they even started with that ridiculous price. Put it out for 10 grand.

I paid 10 grand for my Bonneville.

This thing has 3 wheels, charge 15 grand - :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I remain optimistic, but also realistic enough to know that all I may have to show for my "vote" is a bumper sticker and hundred dollar T shirt. It has to stay at the $7,000.00 range or it will be out of my reach and that of a lot of folks now driving over sized junkers getting 16 mpg. Once they have a foothold in the market and have established credibility they can upgrade with more expensive models if money is the driving force. I'm enough of an idealist to want to believe that there are motivations larger than dollar bills.

I've always been something of a dreamer and never very good at accumulating money before giving it away or letting is out through holes in me pocket. An old fellow's dream now is taking a summer cross country trip with my trusty companion Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog as co-pilot and very basic camping gear stowed inside for stopping at camp grounds. Fun on the cheap!

And I've been thinking about a small trailer either along the lines of a motorcycle trailer or more likely a small utility trailer. Yes, it would cut down on the mpg, but there are times more stowage area is needed such as hauling trash to the landfill or perhaps a motor bike to a group ride, that sort of thing.

Something else I think about is a time long ago when I had a string of sports cars... nothing terribly fast, but lots of fun. An MGA coupe, a couple of MGTD roadsters and a beautiful Austin Healy 3000 roadster. Loved driving those cars with their brutal ride, stick shifts on the floor and nimble steering. I'm hoping the Elio has some of that elemental magic so that a drive in the forest with falling leaves and an open road is something to smile about. Kind of like riding me motorbikes, I hope.
SB

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
One can only hope.

If you read the fine print, it says the price is not fixed or guaranteed. It might just be a "come on"

One can only hope. I hope for the best.

My Bonnie was 10 grand out the door and my Tdub was 5.

Both of them together weigh less than an Elio.

One can only hope - :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I would like to see this Elio take off and prosper. I like that it combines excellent safety and economy with affordability. I hope that the build-quality is also very good. I also hope the service departments will be able to keep up through the beginning years. I particularly like that it is a cyclecar. Heaven help me, I adore cyclecars, and would love little more than for people to take an interest in them again.
That said, I personally do not want an Elio. I just don't. I want to build my own. It'll take two or three years, but I will do it. I don't like how the Elio looks; I want a classic-looking convertible cyclecar. I don't like the smaller diameter front wheels; mine will be larger. Now, by no means would my kind of cyclecar be to everyone's taste; I tend to like stark, utilitarian transportation that has just a wee bit of style in the "looks" department. I won't have automatic transmission, air conditioning, stereo/radio, or anything else that doesn't make the car go or keep me safe. (Found a site for vintage replica seat belts!) Yes, I am certain I could build a "better" cyclecar than this Elio. But I do understand that "better" only means "better for me". An Elio will need to please a lot of different people. It won't be able to make everyone happy.
But I do want the Elio to succeed, even though I won't be getting one. If the safety and efficiency are up to snuff, I think this little cyclecar will be good for us all. I think there's a place for them, a need to fill where A-to-B daily transportation is concerned. I sincerely hope the Elio will set a good example which other makers might someday follow.