Why we ride on dirt

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Dirt is for racing. Asphalt is for parking lots"

Unless you're on the other side of the coin: : "Asphalt is for racing. Dirt is for growing potatos"

Old race car maxims. :)

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sure you can!

It just costs more if you screw up.

But I agree! Dirt was meant for racing.
On dirt, the rider/driver makes more difference than the dollars under the hood, unlike ANY form of asphalt racing.
A fast guy on a slow bike can still beat the slow guys on fast bikes on dirt.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's what everybody says. I've been lusting for that one for years now. Got the Bonnie, now need the "tdub". Even has it's own nickname.

Like all great bikes, there are none to be had used, so a trip to the dealer will be made. Just as soon as I retire - :)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
In the dirt, that way you can wear protective gear costing as much as your bike build so you can continue to ride and build.

Neck brace I was thinking was a rehabilitative thing worn after an injury. I actually saw in person, a trail rider wearing one that was part of the whole protective gear for riding.

Just wondering did this wipe out or that is just the way oval dirt track is done!?

MT

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That's speedway racing. Insane power, no brakes and a steel shoe.
Google it!
Most fun I ever had with my pants on.
And I think he's crashing, but in speedway he could just be saving it too.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It depends how deep the cushion of dirt around the edge of the track is at the end of the night. You get the blue line as well on the inside of the corners, and the back wheel is not as sideways as it was at the start. The frames now are adjustable for the amount of flex they give and the engines are up at 70bhp max, but with most of it available from 2,000 all the way to 10,000. The bikes weigh not much more than an ordinary MB.

It's rather magnificent, watching 4 lunatics all aiming for the same patch of dirt when the tapes go up on machines that accelerate harder than 1g.

Take off wrong, and I've seen a world Champion do it, and the bike will erupt vertically 5' off the track while everybody else sprays you with shale.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is not unusual on grass track (like speedway, but 100+ down the straights, 2 speed gearboxes and rear suspension but still no brains):

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The picture is of a Belle Vue rider, at a home meeting, as the helmet colour (a cover for it usually) is blue. From the positive body language, he is anticipating surviving the extreme angle of dangle.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Cause it's fun!

Took the day off and picked up my new bike.

Rode it inna dirt too, railroad right of way. After Memorial day weekend I'll do the State OHV park. Don't want to learn dirt biking with a crowd of crazies looking for a "personal best" Got the annual pass for $50. Don't need to suffer weekends - :)

Muhaha!