Crash repairs

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here's some recent progress on the customer bike with the bent front end.
Replaced the bent stockers with a set of cheap suspension forks I had in the parts bin. This also gives him a front V-brake in the bargain.

Here's a shot of his cool hand-pump operated air horn. I still need to mount the pump on the bars.

You can also see the excellent quality Mercedes spark plug wire and steel boot I scrounged off a junk car for free.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
That horn placement looks meant to be Maniac! I've got some parts bin Merc parts on all my builds, got boxes of old parts I took off saving for an emergency, never thought it would be ones of the motorbike variety, lol!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm a big fan of scrap yards. All kinds of useful stuff laying around untouched.
Tubing, wires, connectors, hose, wiring looms, clamps, cable clamps, grommets, relays, lighting, switches, springs, fuse blocks, brackets, plug wires, plug boots, etc.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm a big fan of scrap yards. All kinds of useful stuff laying around untouched.
Tubing, wires, connectors, hose, wiring looms, clamps, cable clamps, grommets, relays, lighting, switches, springs, fuse blocks, brackets, plug wires, plug boots, etc.
Salvage yards are great fun. I'm fortunate to have a motorcycle junk yard just a few miles from my house. I've found some of the neatest stuff there and ideas too. Just looking to see how the bikes are built gives you inspiration and all those neat little gadgets on them. Mirrors, horns, chrome doo-dads. I found a chrome cover for a switch that was made to attach to handlebars and used it for a headlight switch for one of my bikes.
If you're building a hot rod, salvage yards are a gold mine. Insurance/liability issues have resulted in a lot of them not allowing you to wonder around and parts hunt but there are still a few that will let you if you sign a waiver releasing them from any liability if you get hurt.
I have some good 'junk yard' stories from my youth. Fun places, sometimes even better than a big hardware store.

Tom

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
FYI, it looks like the in-line fuel filter is installed backwards. Otherwise all looks good. I too like bone yards. There is one 3 1/2 hours from my house that a buddy and I intend to explore once it warms up a tad. I need a small Italian frame to use with a Minarelli P3 I picked up cheap. I already have the wheels, tires, cables, etc. so I'm hoping the salvage yard will have something I can use. It's amazing what you can get out of a good 50cc engine with some gears. My Sachs moped is a two speed and the 3 hp engine is a different animal with a little help. Same with my motorized bicycle with Shimano 3-speed. I never ride my stock Whizzer anymore because it just is not as much fun as the geared bikes. I'll be changing that shortly.