Bad 79cc predator?

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Just received my 79cc preddy today from taddwholesale

Engine looks almost brand new, manual and everything along with tags were still attached to it

Of course the first thing i did was put oil and gas in and start it.

one thing i noticed of the bat was that when the piston will cycle i could hear a noticeable clanging in the engine. Now i sure its not coming from the pull start cause i could hear the noise as i pulled the starter

She started, warmed up and revved ok, it was a bit of a smoky start but it was just some oil that got in trough shipping probably

Now is this clanging normal, probably not
im just wondering if anyone might have some clues?

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I have one of these little 79cc on my latest build. It is the only one I have heard run, but there is no clanging noise. I am very impressed with it. If I were you I would pull the side cover and take a look at the inside. Check for loose rod. While your at it pull the head and check the piston out. If it is a new engine there should be no piston slap, and the rod should have no play. Good luck it is a great little engine and makes a great MB conversion.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
So checked valve lash. Ok

Pulled side cover and checke con rod nuts, tight. Ok

Checked rods, not bent. Ok

I cycled the engine with out rods in place and the noise was not there. Installed the rods again and noise came back. So it's something with the cam? Rods? Or valve?

I ordered a new engine right off harbor freights website, let buy and place the order even though I am a California resident.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I had a similar problem wben i had a 79cc it was the govenor paddle inside the case. The linkage was disconected on the outside but the paddle was still connected inside. I think jb had the same problem.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
So got an email from HF right after my last post.

Stating that my order has been shipped? Include a FedEx tracking number and package content(s) of 79CC ENGINE EPA III

Soo...??dance1