Seat post blocks air filter from fitting? solved

GoldenMotor.com

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I have read alot of threads on this forum about clearance issues with the seat post blocking the air filter from fitting on the 2 stroke kits. The 2 solutions to this are either to chop off a 1/2 inch off your intake manifold or to buy the the offset intake manifold from one of the vendors plus a new gasket. I found a way to get an air filter on without going through all that trouble.

Its called the Outerwear pre filter
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4384/.f

or

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.7742/.f

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good idea. Thanks for sharing.

There is an old thread from a few years back from a member who used a wind sock for microphones. It had an elastic neck and was made of a thin foam. He said it worked great and was washable.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I just neatly cut black nylon ''panty hose'' stocking ''layers of it '' and ran a black cable tie to hold it stretched on neatly... Looked sharp and no one really even knew where it came from. Had very little air restriction and a nice micron filter ability about it..

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I have read alot of threads on this forum about clearance issues with the seat post blocking the air filter from fitting on the 2 stroke kits. The 2 solutions to this are either to chop off a 1/2 inch off your intake manifold or to buy the the offset intake manifold from one of the vendors plus a new gasket. I found a way to get an air filter on without going through all that trouble.

Its called the Outerwear pre filter
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4384/.f

or

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.7742/.f
Correct me if I am wrong, but those are covers that are supposed to go over the top of a real filter to protect in in extremely dirty conditions, they don't seem to be made to be run alone without another filter? If that's the case you still have the same problem? I would think without the filter under it it would get sucked right in, unless it was made much smaller so it was tight across the throat of the carb, or had some sort of internal structure to hold it open? Maybe I am totally confused on the concept?
I have clearance issues with my air filter, barely fit the stock red plastic filter on my CNS carb (it is very low profile) with the shorty intake. I ordered the low profile air filter from SickBikeParts.com and was surprised that it was only slightly deeper than the red plastic one, and fit with almost 3mm to spare! LOL

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Correct me if I am wrong, but those are covers that are supposed to go over the top of a real filter to protect in in extremely dirty conditions, they don't seem to be made to be run alone without another filter? If that's the case you still have the same problem? I would think without the filter under it it would get sucked right in, unless it was made much smaller so it was tight across the throat of the carb, or had some sort of internal structure to hold it open? Maybe I am totally confused on the concept?
I have clearance issues with my air filter, barely fit the stock red plastic filter on my CNS carb (it is very low profile) with the shorty intake. I ordered the low profile air filter from SickBikeParts.com and was surprised that it was only slightly deeper than the red plastic one, and fit with almost 3mm to spare! LOL
Ok ill explain. Yes the Outwear slides over your air filter.
If your just riding around on the streets as long as your not riding on a dirt road you could run just an outwear prefilter.

The reason that i made this thread is because i had the CNS V2 carb on my bike and it ran really bad so i recently bought a Thats Dax RT carburetor and put it on and it runs great. The problem is that i dont have enough room for the cone air filter that was supplied with the RT Carb. So what i did was i took the foam out of the CNS carburetor and put it inside the RT carb and then put a Outerwear prefilter over it.

The Outerwear prefilter would not get sucked in if i ran it without the foam.

I hope this answered your question,

Chad

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I'm still confused but thats ok, I don't really need to understand, if it works for you.... I just recall reading the thread from the guy that had his foam filter sucked into the motor, and assume any foam or fabric that doesn't have some sort of support between it and the throat of the carb (like the plastic crosshatch piece that goes between the foam and the carb) would end up getting sucked in. I am sure you have figured a way around that but I am just not understanding...
at any rate, happy motoring!